3 wk chick walking on tarsus? VIDEO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by michleeh, Jun 2, 2012.

1. michleeh

michleeh In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    We have a 3 week old easter egger chick that shares a large fish tank with 5 other chicks. The bedding is chopped leaves. She's eating non-medicated chick feed and drinking water, but suddenly was not able to walk normally. There's no visible sign of an injury and her poop seems fine. She's alert. She's walking on her tarsus, the lower part of her leg, with her feet at times closed, trying to stretch up, but flopping down. I've attached a video.

Any thoughts?
    Michele in NJ

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have you tried splinting the legs?

3. michleeh

michleeh In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    I'm not really sure how, but I'm guessing I could find something on this site.

I'm getting more hopeful though. Yesterday afternoon she started occasionally standing with one leg straight, like a kick-stand. And just a few minutes ago I caught her briefly standing on her feet a few times. I'm thinking I'll wait it out another day and see if there's consistent improvement.

Thanks!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  5. michleeh

michleeh In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    I'm happy to say that our chick is doing wonderfully. She's walking, hopping, etc. almost as normal.

Thanks for the support!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Glad to hear she is recovering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: