3 wk old Banty chicks (15 of them)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by janc, Jul 21, 2008.

1. janc

janc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    They are currently in a brooder in our little guest house. I turned the air conditioner on fan today because it has turned miserabley hot. The temp in their brooder is running around 85- 88. Their Banty house is ready for them but there is a window on only one side (north) and 2 holes up high where air can get in. They're little yard is fenced in and I will put the netting up tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should put them out there or keep them inside. Does anyone have any ideas? They would be able to be outside from 6 in the morning till 7 at night. What do you think? The whole area is shaded. Their yard backs up to a double banty house that currently has 18 6 wk. old guineas. Today was the first day that they've been brave enought to go outside. Thank GOd! One died yesterday and I have no idea why. So what do you think about the Banties" Thanks for all replies.
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you got a safe place to put them that can stay reasonably cool/warm, go ahead and put them out. [​IMG]
  3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My 3 week old banties have been outside almost everyday for a week. They are fenced into my butterfly garden where there is sun, shade, and lots o' bugs. Then they go into a seperate part of the coop at night where they are protected from the 2 bigger chickens. So far they have been fine. It really depends on the weather where you live. Iowa has been basically a giant brooder box for the last several weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by