3 wk old chick sick, nasal discharge, labored breathing at times

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AlleysFarm, Feb 16, 2013.

1. AlleysFarm

AlleysFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    He/She is also not eating, will drink if helped. Doesn't want to move much was preening it's feathers in the brooder. On occasion she would have episodes of labored breathing and was laying under the brooder lamp with her beak open but did not want to move out from underneath it.

I bought this chick two weeks ago so it's almost 4 weeks old. Behavior started late last night as the chick was found resting in the brooder on it's side. I placed her in confinement and mixed up some Save-A-Chick till I could get to the feed store this morning for some antibiotics. No different today although she did appear to have a seizure this afternoon, went rigid and neck rolled back I thought she died but she came around and returned to sitting and not moving much. I figured if she got her electrolytes out of wack it might account for the seizure. I checked for any obstructions could find none, nor could I find any acute injury to account for her lack of movement. She is occasionally discharging some creamy white poop.

Right now I have her in a small bathroom with a portable heater to provide supplemental heat as I cannot put a heat lamp in there.

Any suggestions as to what she may have? The other chicks from the same place are doing fine no signs or symptoms of illness but I mixed up some save a chick for them as well just in case.

I figure if she makes it till morning she might have a chance, also thinking it might just be more humane to cull her.

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Oh, it's so stressful when they get sick! Have you checked the chick's butt to make sure there's no pasting going on? I think the electrolytes are a great idea, so long as the chick is actually drinking them. Is it eating at all? I'd try some hard boiled egg yolk and consider adding a bird-safe multi vitamin. best of luck!

3. AlleysFarm

AlleysFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    No pasty butt.. she'll drink if I force her too, she's moving a little bit this morning. I'll try the egg to see if she'll eat that so far isn't interested in any food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by