3 wk old chick w/injured leg

May 3, 2020
Last night my 3 wk old bantam slipped off the edge of the brooder and fell in landing on the cone of the heating plate. At first she was still walking but would sit often. Then she started having these fits where she’d flop around and cry. But she still ate and drank before going to bed. This morning I found her lying with her wings spread out a little. So I fixed her some moist food and I’ve held her since. She ate really well and drank a little—slept some. I can’t really tell what is injured—-sometimes I think leg, sometimes wing. I took a video in hopes that some of you experts out there might be able to help but it’s probably not a very good video. Anyway, any advice or help would be really appreciated!
Thanks,
Tara

I did try that—must not have been a good one because she was still able to flap around after a while. Apparently I didn’t get the poop hole right because when I took her out she pooped a pile! I’m back to holding her—she sleeps then wakes up and eats, drinks from a syringe. I’ve called my vet and the dr isn’t in until 3–they’re all booked up. I tried another vet and they said it would be $225!!

Let us know how she gets along. I would try different sling designs, or let her be on the floor of the brooder as long as the others do not trample or bully. She may have sprained her legs, and those can heal in time. It is good to put a frame with 1/2 hardware cloth or a screen on top of the brooder, so that they do not jump up to the top. At this age they can jump up and out, and get lost or cold.

Thank you—we have a mesh screen on it now!

I have the chick in a separate box next to the brooder where she can still hear the others but she was really getting trampled in the brooder. I made a little donut out of a hand towel and made sure she can get to the food and water. I may try the sling again with something different but I need to but my thinking cap on or do some more research because I tried a Fage yogurt container and a Pure Leaf tea container (cut off) and both were too short, the tea container almost worked but she was able to get on her tip toes and flap her wings.

Attachments

• 9F0B5085-0355-4185-A5DF-6C650F2C8D08.jpeg
    9F0B5085-0355-4185-A5DF-6C650F2C8D08.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 0
I had to leave for a couple hours and when I got home she had gotten out of the donut to poop another big pile! But she seemed ok. I did some more research here on BYC for sling ideas and tried another one when I got home. It seems to work better but I’m not sure I’ll trust it overnight. I think I’ll put her back in the donut at bedtime. I hope this works and she gets better. She wasn’t my favorite before but she’s already become pretty special now!!

Questions...should I try to do any physical therapy with her? When should I try to let her walk again? Should I completely rest her legs x-amount of days?

Thanks for all the help!

I just wanted to follow up just in case anyone happens to come across this thread with the same problem. I never completely identified what our little chick injured—at times I thought it was her wing, though I initially thought leg. I talked to a wildlife rehabber near me and she just encouraged me to keep her isolated and she would heal on her own. So that’s what I did. I made sure she ate and drank well and kept her clean and warm. Within a week she was much better—10 days she was walking again and I moved her to a bigger pen. Within 2 weeks she was back in with the other chicks and you can hardly tell her from the others! We’ve named her Mathilda—which means strong in battle—because she’s our little warrior!😊 There were times I wondered if I was doing the right thing but now I’m so glad I remained hopeful!!

Back
Top Bottom