3 wk old chicks blood diarrhea?

niellyc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
So frustrated. My bf and I have been wanting chickens for a while. My bf decided to pick up10 chicks from a local person instead of ordering online thought it would be less stressful for them. We have zero expirience with chickens....I feel like he was taken advantage of and sold sick chicks :( they have major feather loss which the owner attributed to all of the chicks crawling on eachother, and now they're having what looks like bloody diarrhea. We just wanted chickens for eggs and were sold these sickly little chicks. They're eating well. A couple of them are much bigger than the others. They look so scrawny. I don't know what to do with them :( anyways here's why their poop looks like. Does this look suspicious for intestinal parasites?

I also did another post regarding the baldness. Here's some pics of that....

I've tried contacting the people who sold them to my boyfriend and of course they havent responded :( my boyfriend said they looked bad but he wanted to help them that's why he bought them, but I probably wouldn't have bought chicks in this condition. Is this a normal thing and I'm just over reacting ? Do they go bald/have diarrhea? I feel like we're in over our heads with these guys and have no clue what to do. Sorry for complaining I needed to vent. Lol. Thanks for listening !

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-prevention-cure-and-natural-healing

It sounds like your chicks have coccidiosis. Do you have them on medicated chick feed? Check out the article I posted above for treatment.

Corid solution in the water treats coccidiosis and you can find it at Tractor Supply or your local feed store in the goat section, I believe.

As for the "balding," if the people you got them from that the balding was from the chicks "crawling on each other," I bet they are half-right. In an overcrowded situation, pecking, feather pulling, and disease can run rampant. Chicks need room to get away from each other or they can become homicidal.

I'm so happy you rescued these babies, even if they had a rough start at life. <3 With a little TLC, your flock should be right as rain!

Keep us updated and let us know of any new symptoms.

MrsB

Last edited:
The bloody diarrhea is a good indication they have coccidiosis. You need to go to your local feed stored and get either Sulmet or Corid. Put about a couple of tablespoons in their water. Coccidiosis kills quickly, so don't wait. The lack of feathering may just be because they feather at a different rate, or they may have parasites. Take care of the coccidiosis first, then worry about the feathering. Good luck!

Ditto, get some Corid immediately, do not delay. Corid is better then Sulmet because it treats more strains of cocci.
The feathering problem may improve if you now have them in plenty of space and eating a proper diet. But do check them carefully for mites or lice since it sounds like they may have come from less then desirable conditions.

Okay thanks so much for all your help everyone!

Is there anything else I can add to their diet? Right now we have them on a regular starter/grower feed. We are adding a little Diatomaceous Earth to their food as per the lady at the feed store and sprinkling a little in their bedding. She said it would help prevent and kill mites but from what I've been hearing it may not do anything...They're eating very well I actually feel like I may be over feeding them, they're eating about 2 quarts a day between the 10 of them and would gladly eat more. Our local feed store is closed today
sad.png
but we will for sure go first thing in the morning. I have been obsessing over the fact they may have mites I'm 5 and half mos. pregnant and super paranoid I'm going to get something form them but I've been inspecting them daily and so far I don't see any bugs crawling around on them and their skin, besides looking yellow, seems normal. I don't see any scabs or redness, if anything maybe its a little dry.I hope these guys are feeling better soon, feel so bad for them. :(

Last edited:
If they get dry, rub a little coconut oil on them. If they get red, dab a little antibac ointment *without pain reliever* and iodine to turn it purple.

You're doing great. :)

These mites are fowl-specific, if what I understand is correct.

Your cat litter is more dangerous than your chicken babies (these statements have not been approved by the FDA). Just keep their water and bedding clean and follow dosing instructions for the Corid. :)

Are they acting like normal chicks? Running around, eating, drinking, peeping? Or are there signs of lethargy, droopiness, or going off their food/water?

MrsB

If they get dry, rub a little coconut oil on them. If they get red, dab a little antibac ointment *without pain reliever* and iodine to turn it purple.

You're doing great.
smile.png

These mites are fowl-specific, if what I understand is correct.

Your cat litter is more dangerous than your chicken babies (these statements have not been approved by the FDA). Just keep their water and bedding clean and follow dosing instructions for the Corid.
smile.png

Are they acting like normal chicks? Running around, eating, drinking, peeping? Or are there signs of lethargy, droopiness, or going off their food/water?

MrsB
They seem normal to me...Peeping, eating a lot drinking a lot. They all seem perky. I have the corid going to dose them soon. Hopefull this all passes soon and I have happy, healthy, feathered baby chicks :), thanks so much for all your help and calming me down! So happy I found this site.

Corid dosage is 2 teaspoonsful of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 teaspoonful of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. After completing Corid, give several days worth of vitamins and probiotics. Do you know what breed of chicks those are? Certain breeds feather in slower in different areas, especially on the shoulders and back. Most chicks are fully feather by 6-7 weeks. If you part their feathers and look closely, you should be able to see mites or lice. DE will do nothing for lice and mites.

Corid dosage is 2 teaspoonsful of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 teaspoonful of the powder per gallon of water  for 5-7 days. After completing Corid, give several days worth of vitamins and probiotics. Do you know what breed of chicks those are?  Certain breeds feather in slower in different areas, especially on the shoulders and back.  Most chicks are fully feather by 6-7 weeks. If you part their feathers and look closely, you should be able to see mites or lice. DE will do nothing for lice and mites.

Thanks! Our chicks are Easter eggers. :) they're so funny. They're starting to get a little anxious though. We're working on our coop/run area so they can have a bigger space during the day to roam around in. I can't wait until they're looking/feeling better. I've been trying to inspect them (they don't like it lol!) and from what I can see they're mice/bug free.

Back
Top Bottom