3 wk old Cochin chicks wobbling like drunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoneStarGrandma, Jan 14, 2009.

1. LoneStarGrandma

LoneStarGrandma New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    Kerrville, Texas
    We have 6 bantam cochin chicks born on Christmas Day. All was well, eating good, scratching, pecking all normal up to today. This morning went to check on them and one was walking backwards, kept it's butt in the corner. Not eatting much and actually acts drunk or like it has an inner ear infection and is off balance. So we separated that one from the other cochin chicks. Went out to do grocery shopping. Came home 3 hrs later (around 2 pm) and found the drunk chick laying on it's side. I thought it was dying. Checked on it about 25-30 min later and it was sitting normal, but then not long after that was laying on it's side again. Checked on the other cochin chicks a few minutes ago (6:30 pm'ish) and another cochin chick is wobbling around. So I moved it to where the "drunk" chick is at. (8:00 pm) Just checked on the two chicks. One was laying on it's back. But when I opened up the cage it tryed to roll over on it's own. Couldn't so I helped it and it instantly started eating. But whatever this is it looks like it's spreading. Please HELP! What is this? How did they get it? And what do we do now?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Start them on Poly-Vi-Sol right away. It's a liquid baby vitamin/supplement by Enfamil - Gerber also makes same thing. They could be suffering from a vitamin deficiency/malabsorption issue. Also try feeding them scrambled egg. Also cut the top off a Vitamin E capsule and squeeze it in beak of the "sick" ones. You can give the Poly-Vi-Sol by drop on side of beak or mix up a small shallow dish of water and add several dropper fulls.

3. LoneStarGrandma

LoneStarGrandma New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    Kerrville, Texas
    Ruth, having had a problem with splayed legs in the past we make it a practice of putting the Poly-Vi-Sol in all the chicks waters. But you said "several droppers full". So perhaps we just aren't giving them enough. I went in and did as you suggested. If this works as well for this, as it did for the splayed legs, I'm gonna' officially declare this a wonder drug for fowl creatures. lol Thanks so much. I was so afraid they had contracted some chicken disease. Thanks again. I'll let you know if it works on this.

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I don't know whether it's a disease or not but giving the vitamins never hurts. Glad to hear you make it a practice to give to all new chicks - so do I. I don't wait for the problems to occur. I use a small dish, actually the glass lids to the candles I buy, and put a little water and about three dropper fulls of vitamins so the water looks like diluted tea. But if one is showing weakness, I give two drops directly in beak and the Vitamin E has proven to be a lifesaver to the chicks that get crook neck/twisted neck and start walking backwards or spinning in circles.

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Could it be Mereks disease?

6. Are you using Cedar shavings ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by