3 wk old cockerel suddenly acts crazy

Scottiemom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I recently got 7 Bielefelder chicks, 3 cockerels and 4 pullets. I lost one cockerel at 2 weeks old do to failure to thrive. Now, they are almost 4 weeks old and another of the cockerels (the smaller of the remaining 2) suddenly started acting crazy. I was hoping someone might know what is happening. He keeps twisting his neck to the left and then he will suddenly run around in circles, run into walls, and eventually start spinning himself on his side, wings flailing. Basically, he completely freaks out. (I can't think of any other way to describe it.) When he was with the other chicks, he would dive underneath the others like he was terrified and trying to hide. Then he separated himself from the rest and, due to his erratic behavior, I decided to keep him separated. After he calms down he acts fine for a little while. Then, something sets him off again.
I feel awful for him and don't know how to help. Anyone have any ideas?
(If I can upload a video, I will add it.)

Put him on double dose of chick saver. He may be low in Vitamin E and Selenium. He could also be low in B vitamins (though that usually shows up in feet).

Chicks can hatch with vitamin deficiencies.

If that doesn't help, it could be in-breeding genetics or poor hatch temps have affected the brain.

Also make sure there is no mold in the feed anywhere.

My thoughts.

LofMc

While trying to reseach what could be happening, I kept coming back to the vitamin deficiency, but never having seen it before (and I have used the same feed for multiple batches of chicks over the years) I just wasn't sure. So, I did put all of the chick's on Nutri-drench yesterday. As for the feed, it is a new bag (Nutrena NatureWise) from a store with high turnover sales. It looks and smells like feed usually does and I can't detect any mold. So, it seems fresh.
My next question would be, should he be separated from the other chicks? Obviously a vitamin deficiency isn't contagious, but I am more concerned about physical harm from his outbursts, either to him or to the other chicks.
Thank you very much for your help!

This is wry neck or torticolis, and some have also called it crazy chick disease. It is thought to be caused by a vitamin E deficiency that strikes about 2-3 weeks of age. I would only separate if the others are hurting this chick. Can you let them outside on grass in a covered pen for a short time when the temperature is warm? Sometimes a little more vitamin E is needed, and you can find 400 IU softgels at most vitamin counters to put on her food daily. It goes well with some cooked egg.

Back
Top Bottom