1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

3 wk old duckling sick

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickiebean85, Sep 13, 2018 at 6:20 AM.

1. chickiebean85

chickiebean85 Songster

Dec 22, 2015
    Maine
    My 3 wk old silver appleyard duckling has been having issues lately she has trouble walking correctly, she gets the zoomies and flips over on her back and can't get up and extends her head and neck way back on her back. I also noticed this morning she has watery discharge coming from her eyes. I put nutritional yeast in their feed and my other two ducklings are ok.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

I would asap go and get some B complex Liquid you can get it from TSC in the cattle dept it will say injectable but can be given orally 1 ml per duckling a day or go to Walmart etc and get human equivalent in the vitamin section it will be 3ml a day since it isn't as potent as TSC Make sure she can dunk her head and clean out her eyes. But not get in water and not be able to get out. But the leg problems are most likely Niacin and the Nutritional yeast is great for ducklings but sometimes there will be one that just needs something extra and all the Bs seem to be doing the job this season in getting them back up and going. Please keep us updated.

Most that have been using the Liquid B complex have been mixing it into some thawed peas smashed or Meal worms just enough treats so they get the full amount of the vitamins.

3. chickiebean85

chickiebean85 Songster

Dec 22, 2015
    Maine
    Thank you I will. She usually has the flipping episodes in the morning then the rest of the day she is ok it is just her legs. Should I try the bandaid method because her legs are kind of spraddled it works out as she walks on hard surfaces. I walk her around the yard letting her take breaks when she needs to.

4. Miss Lydia

If she is kind of spraddle then yes hobble her keeping her legs in proper alignment will really help.

5. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Hoping she gets better! The liquid B-complex has been working miracles this year so I am sure it will help on her. Does she have a crest?

6. chickiebean85

chickiebean85 Songster

Dec 22, 2015
    Maine
    No she is a silver appleyard I got her from Metzer Farms don't think she is crossed with anything but no crest yet.

7. Miss Lydia

Let us know how she is doing usually once started on the B Complex and getting those legs in proper alignment they are good to go in less than a week if caught early

casportpony, CayugaJana, Jpat and 2 others like this.
  8. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Ok sounds good. By the way you don't want her to have a crest. It is a genetic disability and can cause seizures. I was wondering if she had a crest and if it could be causing seizures.

casportpony and chickiebean85 like this.
  9. chickiebean85

chickiebean85 Songster

Dec 22, 2015
    Maine
    Ok she has only had two days worth on the liquid B-Complex and has not had a episode since the day I posted. She loves taking it too. I tried giving it to the other two just as a safety they did not want any part of it. Thanks everybody for your help

10. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    That is so so good to hear!:celebrate:yesss:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: