1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 year old lt.brahma hen head injury??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Loon, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Loon

Loon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    No sure what happened but found the hen in the run with her head hanging down and moving side to side. She doesn't pick her head up. She can't stay up on the rungs of the ladder. Picked her up and at first thought her neck was broken. Put her in isolation in a roomy coop inside the barn. Husband would lift water bowl up to her beak and she'd drink. Really thought she'd die. Next day she was still alive so we've been putting food and water in there for her. She's eating and drinking and even laid an egg. She still can't lift her head up though. Still doing constant movements..............head down near chest and moving side to side. Very strange. It's been 3 days since we found her. Not sure if she flew into something and hurt herself or if this is some odd description of some medical problem.

We intend to keep her in her own little coop. It's off the floor so she'll stay warmer there. Heat lamp is above the coop inside the barn. We're in single digits at night here in mid Michigan. I don't think she's too stressed in there since the sides are open and she can see all the other birds when they come in to roost at night.

Any ideas what could be wrong. Any ideas of how to treat her further?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Brenda

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I can only offer you my shared feelings that you are doing your best.. Soooo sorry. I HOPE SHE RECOVERS.
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she has wry neck, which can be from a head or neck injury, from a vitamin deficiency, or from certain diseases such as Mareks or others causing brain inflammation. Treatment is to keep quiet, help with feeding, and give vitamins in the water, and selenium. Vitamin B1 thiamine, vitamin E, and selenium are most important. Eggs, chopped meat, tuna, salmon, and nuts all contain selenium, and only a small amount is needed. If she has trouble eating enough, there is a good video on YouTube on feeding a chicken with wry neck. Wry neck can last a few days to weeks, and sometimes it can be permanent.

1 person likes this.
  4. Loon

Loon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! We'll get some vitamins from the vet tomorrow. I have all the food items you mentioned on hand. She is isolated in her own coop so hopefully none of the other chickens will get it. I've never heard of such a condition. Glad I asked here. Will let you know if she gets over it.

5. Loon

Loon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    I thought I'd reply with an update. I should have done it sooner.

We treated the hen as suggested for wry neck. We gave her the liquid vitamins and focused on a good diet. We isolated her in a nice coop to herself with a heat lamp. It was very cold here in mid Michigan. We spoke to our vet who suggested also giving her amoxicillin. He'd never heard of wry neck. I was surprised since he's a country vet who treats farm animals. Anyway, we did both. Antibiotics and vitamins and also syringed in extra water. She was holding her own for about 3 weeks then she just crashed and died.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you lost her. It would have been good to have known what might have caused her wry neck, but unfortunately, many cases end up this way. Hopefully, you won't have to deal with this again.

7. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Sorry to hear this. Are your other chickens OK??? :(

8. Loon

Loon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    She was vaccinated and none of the other chickens came down sick with this. I did not take her to the vet. We just got advice and medicine from him based on what we told him her symptoms were. She could hold her head up for a short time so I don't think it was fractured or broken. She would have died sooner than she did. I guess it will just remain a mystery. We did all we could for her. Sometimes things just happen.

It was a learning experience. We learned how to use the long tube attached to the syringe to give meds and water with. The vet gave us that. Thankful it doesn't seem to be anything contagious. The rest of the flock are fine and back to laying good. Happy it's spring and they can be out free ranging around the farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by