3 year old rhode island red unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BethChick98, Jul 25, 2013.

1. BethChick98

BethChick98 New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    A few days ago my 3 years old rhode island red started sitting a lot. Then I noticed she was limping on her right leg. It did look a little swollen but now i cant tell. At first she was eating and drinking but now she wont even stand up. I have brought her inside and have her propped up so she can drink. Her poop was very green and liquidy. She acts really tired. Any suggestions? Thanks Tamera.

2. Mathew544

Mathew544 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Danville, PA
    It sounds like some kind of infection with the green diarrhea and the inability to walk. I'm not sure what this could be but I would definitely search on here for similar symptoms. Maybe she just got sick and needs some time to recover. As long as she is eating and drinking and seems alert then she should get better soon. Maybe she is dehydrated? You can pick up packs of chicken electrolytes at a feed store or tractorsupply. It is really cheap (like $1 for 3 packs) and you empty it into a gallon of water and it looks like gatorade. This might give her some extra strength especially if she has diarrhea. Good luck!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might check her crop for sour /impacted crop--first thing in morning before she eats is best. Have you examined her for lice and mites at the base of feathers around the vent? Have you had any respiratory disease in the flock? She may have some serious bone problem or infection that has made her so sick. Try to get her to eat some scrambled eggs and put some electrolytes in the water. Click on this link to common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by