3 year old rhodie, swollen abdomen, lame, wide gait

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by susanellen, Feb 21, 2009.

1. susanellen

susanellen New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    hello,

a new subscriber here. for the first time, i have a sick chicken, as described above. have separated her and giving antibiotic in water, as recommended by feed store. she is eating and drinking well but the basic symptoms have not reduced. antibiotics started three days ago.

feed store says diagnosis diffficult and recovery unlikely. what do folks with backyard chickens do??? she can't live in the basement indefinitely.

many thanks!!!

--susan

2. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Hello Susan -Susan here also. It might be that she is egg bound? Was she laying then stopped. There are sollutions on here for egg bound just use the search.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It may help to give her a shallow belly bath in warm water.
    You'll probably want another person to assist with warm towels for the after care, the basic idea is to use the water to relax and expand her vent and muscles so that she can expel the mass inside. It could be quite a mess, so be prepared. Best done in a warm space and with gentle palpitation.

Details here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...q=bathe+in+warm+water+eggbound&sa=Search#1295

4. susanellen

susanellen New Egg

Feb 21, 2009
    thank you for the help. i have followed a couple threads of birds with similar symptoms and have learned a lot! did the warm bath this morning, which she did seem to enjoy, but nothing passed....i even did a little gentle probing with vegetable oil and a glove. (it was really not such a bad thing to do.) she is distended but soft and i don't feel an egg.

time will tell. thanks for the help.

--susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by