3 year old Rooster... What is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LunarRayne, Jun 21, 2011.

1. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    My Mother in Law has a rooster which she traded to us for some younger birds. I would like to know any ideas on breed. I do know that he could have some game bird and some RIR. Other than that, I am lost. His feet are kinda blueish if that helps any. I do know he is a mutt. Sorry the pics are not that great. They were taken by a cell phone in the dark coop... We don't want him to kill our other roosters...

Her is a pic of his comb
    [​IMG]

Here is a side view
    [​IMG]

And here are the feathers on his neck. I think they are beautiful gold and red. The pic does not do it justice because it is so dark.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help!!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It does look like he has some Old English Game blood. It's hard to say how much fighting will go on when he meets your other Roosters. If your established roosters are big he may decide as a new comer it is not worth fighting much. I have had OEG roosters who figured out a pecking order without a who lot of fighting. Of course rooster behavior is hard to predict, so you will just have to keep a close eye on the roosters.

btw that is one impressive comb-I love the shape

3. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    Thank you! I love his comb as well. I am hoping he will pass it on to the next generation. My husband said his great grandfather was a 12lb all red rooster and the hen great gandma was a RIR game bird mix. This rooster is about 2 feet tall and has a beautiful crow. We introduced him to the flock last night, and my other roosters are only about 4 months old, so he is definitely the oldest and biggest. There was no fighting last night, and no signs of it this morning. He is not running with them now, as his hen tends to run away. I guess I will see tonight when the flock goes to bed.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    looks like American Gamefowl cross (Legs are the wrong color for Old English).

Chris

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Honkin' comb little Guy has

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Since the other roosters are only 4 months old then they will probably accept him as the alpha. That's interesting to know about the American Game and the blue legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by