3 year old rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThechickenIam, Nov 7, 2014.

1. ThechickenIam

ThechickenIam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    Pepperell,Mass
    Appears to be having trouble swallowing.making weird noises and shaking head around.been going on for about a week but seems to be getting worse.looked down his throat with a flashlight tonight awful awful bad breath and looks like something yellow and maybe growth of some kind need help with this one.I'm afraid he's not going to make it without help. thanks for the replies

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There could be a canker infection or fowl pox in his throat, or possibly a sour crop. If you haven't seen any outward signs of fowl pox, then I would lean toward canker if you can see yellowish-gray gunk in the throat. Are there any other symptoms that you can describe. Canker is infectious, so I would remove him from the flock while treating. Fish Zole, Flagyl , and metronidazole 250 mg once a day by mouth is the standard treatment for canker. Some use acidified copper sulfate in the water once a month for prevention in flocks with canker. Some types of wet fowl pox can have almost identical lesions, and that is caused by a virus. Here is some info:

Oral Canker

[​IMG]
    Oral Canker is a condition which can be found in a wide variety of birds and most commonly in pigeons.
    Causes

It is caused by a motile protozoal parasite called Trichomonas gallinae.
    This parasite can cause caseous lesions of the mouth, pharynx, oesophagus and in certain circumstances, further down the digestive tract. These lesions can become extremely extensive.
    This causes the birds to stop eating and drinking, in severe cases the extensive nature of the lesions combined with not eating and drinking leads the chickens to die.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis is often based upon clinical signs but wet smears can be examined under the microscope to confirm clinical suspicions. Speak to your vet.
    [​IMG]
    Treatment

The treatment traditionally involved the use of a drug called Dimetridazole, however, this drug is no longer available or licensed for use in the UK.
    The affected chicken in these photos was treated with Metronidazole, this is a UK licensed medication but is not used in poultry therefore it had to be prescribed under the rules of the Veterinary Medicines Directorate cascade. This also means that any eggs the chicken may lay during treatment and for a specified period after treatment would need to be discarded. Her eggs must never be sold for human consumption. The owner of the hen was extremely pleased with the outcome and has supplied us with plenty of photos to monitor the hen’s progress.

3. ThechickenIam

Dec 6, 2010
    Pepperell,Mass
    Thanks for that answer that's exactly what it looks like. Can I get anything in USA to treat this guy. He's the friendliest rooster we have ever had and is a member here.

4. ThechickenIam

Dec 6, 2010
    Pepperell,Mass
    My Rooster died today. I tried Metronidazole with no affect. In his five years he never attacked anyone. What a good boy.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like he may have had some of the canker blocking his airway. I would probably think about using acidified copper sulfate 1/4 tsp per gallon of water for 3 days a month on your other chickens to help prevent the canker from infecting them. You can get this from Jefferspet.com online under $10. Your rooster sounds like he was a very good pet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by