3 yo RIR walking slow, legs splayed, comb pale

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by highwayhens, May 5, 2011.

1. highwayhens

highwayhens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    I've had a sick baby for the last year, and so I haven't had much to do with our hens for a long time. Today my husband and I were moving our six mixed flock hens to their new (large) chicken run and coop, and we noticed that one of them seems ill. The others all seem fine.

The ill hen still seems to be eating her pellets and water. I'll check again tomorrow to make sure.
    She's walking with her legs wide apart.

During the winter, the hens slept in our shed and had the run of the whole backyard during the day. But I am sad to say, that with the stress and extra work of our sick baby, the shed didn't get cleaned out of their poop very often.

The other five hens all went into the coop in the evening when I threw tomato pieces in there to tempt them in, but Cherry (our sickie), didn't have the energy or desire to compete. I had to walk over and pick her up and carry her into the new coop. She didn't object when I picked her up. I guess she's feeling pretty bad.

I'd appreciate any input. I don't want the other hens to get sick too. We've never given them worm medicine and have never had any problems before.

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    A few more details would help, but my first suspicion would be egg binding, with that walk.

3. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Quote:my first thought too! Check her vent and feel for an egg that may not have passed through.... lots of info on treatment for egg binding on this site, good luck!

4. Veggie4life55

Veggie4life55 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    My guess is egg bound or internal laying.

5. highwayhens

Sep 2, 2009
    Do you mean an egg stuck in her? I can't see one from looking at the back. Her rear has more poop stuck on it than usual though.

Should I wash off her rear and try to feel inside? I'm a bit of a germophobe these days because of our baby's health problems. Maybe hub could do it and I'll Purell him afterwards. lol But tell me if this is what I need to do.

After reading some more posts on this site, I'm going to look at her more closely tomorrow, but as far as I could see today, there wasn't any more symptoms to tell you. We have two RIRs, and I know that one of them has a history of laying very large eggs. I've never been sure which one did it, though, because those two have eggs the same color, and the birds are almost identical.

Also, I need to clarify, that when I say that I haven't had much to do with our hens for a while, my son and my husband were feeding and watering them, we just haven't given them as much care as usual. I don't want to sound like they've been cruelly neglected.

6. Veggie4life55

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yeah the egg could be stuck inside. Most times there are not outer symptoms like around her bottom (but the legs could be a sign of this)... Except when the egg is stuck right at the end. Most of the time you would need to put on a glove use olive oil or mineral oil and gently stick you finger in to feel if anything is stuck. There really shouldn't be anything anything you can feel if there isn't an egg stuck.

If the egg is stuck look up egg bound or egg binding and there are a few home methods you can try to get it out. The first couple times I took our chickens to the vet for this. The last time I managed to get it out.

Alot of time when a chicken is egg bound it is dehydrated. So to loosen up the egg that can get wedged soak her in a warm bath for 20 to 30 minutes and make sure her bum is in the water. This will also relax her muscles to help the egg move out. Some people say rub her belly to try to move toward her back end.

But if her comb is white it is something to worry about. I normally wait for our chickens to try to pass an egg but if their comb is white I normally call the vet or take them in. They can show you how to remove the egg if she is eggbound.

If she is internally laying then you can't help her. She would need taken to a vet to be spayed or she will just keep internally laying till she either gets an infection or the eggs start pushing on her organs which will both kill her.

with her legs being wide apart I would be thinking internal laying or peritonitis from internal laying or being eggbound. To treat the peritonitis the vet can give you an antibiotic called baytril.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  7. highwayhens

Sep 2, 2009
    Thanks for your help. I guess that tomorrow I'll talk to hub and then look up a vet that sees chickens. I hope that a chicken visit doesn't run hundreds. lol Our dog was sick in the winter with a GI bacteria, and she had to have IV fluids! But what else do you do when the animal is a beloved member of the family? Especially when you've got an animal-loving kid.

8. MoriahQuilts

MoriahQuilts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    You might also post for help on the "Where am I/where are you" thread to find someone close to you that has had experience with this, and maybe could help out. I have found several people here within 5 miles of me and they've been great mentors. I adore my chickens, but I can't afford to take them to vet, especially where you are likely to already have baby medical bills mounting.

Good luck!

And let us know the result, so we can all learn.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  9. Veggie4life55

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    our vet doesn't normally see chickens but he is an exotics vet that works with alot of Avians... He works with the WV Raptor rehab and the Pittsburgh Aviary. If you can't find someone from just calling around call your closest zoo or like at Raptor rahab and see who works for them..because they might work at a local clinic too... Good luck and I hope everything works out for you. You may want to ask the other Vet places when u call in if there is an farm vets around aswell.. Though or farm vet is rougher with our chicken then I would like I go and see her when I can't see our avian vet.

10. beinginspired

beinginspired Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    I know your post was a long time ago, but I can't find any more info. I have a hen with what I think is the same problem. Can you tell me what you found out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by