3 young polish roosters dead! Need help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1chickenlover, Aug 20, 2010.

1. 1chickenlover

1chickenlover New Egg

Aug 20, 2010
    HI ALL
    I have about a half acre with a 6 foot high chainlink fence for my chickens and turkeys to free range on. I have about 25 hens mixed polish,and heavy laying types and 9 turkeys and 1 silkie rooster and 3 polish roosters in the pasture. All where hatched in march of 2010 and raised together. All have been doing fine together until today. I went out to the coop today and the 3 polish roosters were dead. No sign of why they died. No blood No nothing!!! I have had them on start and grow which is a high protein feed since hatched. Two or three days ago I filled 2 of my 3 feeders with a layer mash and 1 feeder with the regular start and grow feed. Could the change in feed have killed them?Could the turkeys killed them but with no blood?!?. Something else? Help! any idea? I am thinking the feed.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I'm sorry, that is so sad. I do not know what could be the reason. I would not think it was just the change in the feed, there has to be something more. I HOPE someone with some experience will jump on here and give you some ideas.

Carol

3. Cowboy_Shamblin

Cowboy_Shamblin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Elk City
    I have had tom turkeys kill roosters on my farm on several ocassions. They could easily have killed yours by standing on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by