1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 young rooster with 25 hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warren86, Oct 10, 2016.

1. warren86

warren86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    Would I be able to house 3 5-7 month old roosters with 25 hens? 1 RIR rooster 1 Brown leghorn rooster and 1 mix breed rooster only one of the 3 is crowing

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I don't see why not. 25 hens to 3 cockerels is a fine ratio.

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    It would depend on how big your run is and if they free range. I have 5 roosters in a flock with 3 Guineas, 4 baby chicks, and 34 hens. The only time I have trouble is early in the morning before they free range. If one of the lower roosters tries to mate while they are still in the run, a fight breaks out with the alpha rooster.

4. warren86

warren86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    32ft long 8ft wide run for the flock

5. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Might be okay. Mine is 32x16 but some days it isn't big enough, when they start arguing. I quickly found out that 10 sqft per bird isn't enough when the rooster hormones start flowing.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds fine to me...
    Try it and see how it works for you....Only you can decide the proper ratio of Rooster to Hen....

Best of luck!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by