3 yr old hen very lethargic

Has she laid any eggs?
If you get a chance, try to get some poop photos.

I would re-check the crop again. If it's emptying, then she may have other issues going on. I would smell her breath for a few days just to make sure though - sounds odd, but there can be yeast infection without the crop being full.

Have you ever wormed her?
No. Never wormed her, but I scooped and examined her poo and don't see anything at all this morning. Quantity was pretty good. It was mostly pretty liquid, with some smallish solid pieces. She hasn't done much today. Sorry, didn't photograph it at the time. My mistake...

Still no smell from her beak, but I'll check periodically. She hasn't thrown up again as far as I can tell.

She last laid a thin-shelled egg 2 days ago. She is normally my most reliable layer and wouldn't skip more than a single day except during winter.

Postscript-
My hen is doing much better. She has most of her energy back and is back outside with her friends. I fed her primarily hard-boiled egg for 2.5 days and she also ate some pellets and crushed egg shell and water with probiotics. I stayed out in the yard with them for ~2 hours yesterday evening and she was grazing and interacting normally with the others.

Whatever hit her, it appears that she just needed something very easy on the stomach and some time to get through it. Not sure if it was some type of bug or if she ate something that was bad for her in the yard.

She hasn't laid an egg for three days, but that isn't surprising considering what happened. I'll continue to keep an eye on her to see that she gets fully back to normal and starts laying again.

Thanks @Wyorp Rock for your assistance.

Back
Top Bottom