3 yr old suddenly cant walk well

Ajzer0

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
We have a 3 yr old cinnimon queen who has taken a turn within hours. She seemed normal - running around and such - until about an hour ago. My son found her laying on her side inside the coop. She couldnt hold her neck up right and it seems to be bent to the right a bit. Upon further inspection, she had an empty crop. Yesterday she was eating normally (we check the crops of our small flock every night). She would occasionally close her eyes as if she is going to sleep.
I thought she was getting too hot (we had a heat index of 105 F today) so I got some water to cool her feet down. There is ample shade avaliable to her. She will perk up some but still isnt walking right, drinking or eating.

It isnt looking too good right now and I am wondering what could have happened for it to be sudden.

Also, dont know if it matters, but she has been laying regularly and even laid an egg this afternoon

Sorry about your hen. What is your location? Have you added any new birds to the flock in recent weeks or months? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Could she have been injured by a rooster or another hen? It sounds like she could have symptoms of wry neck (torticolis.) Is she able to stand or balance if you stand her up? I would try to get her drinking. Vitamin E and thiamine (B1) would be good to give her with a bit of egg for selenium. 400 IU of human E and just a 1/4 of a tablet of B complex would supply the vitamins. Hopefully, she is not showing signs of something more serious, such as Mareks.

Sorry about your hen. What is your location? Have you added any new birds to the flock in recent weeks or months? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Could she have been injured by a rooster or another hen? It sounds like she could have symptoms of wry neck (torticolis.) Is she able to stand or balance if you stand her up? I would try to get her drinking. Vitamin E and thiamine (B1) would be good to give her with a bit of egg for selenium. 400 IU of human E and just a 1/4 of a tablet of B complex would supply the vitamins. Hopefully, she is not showing signs of something more serious, such as Mareks.
We live outside of Houston and have a flock of 6 hens. 5 of those hens, including the one in question, was added back in early March by someone we knew. I honestly dont know if she was vaccinated for Mareks. She does not look physically injured by another bird and is 2nd in the pecking order. All the other hens are acting normal.

We continued to cool her down with water and about an hour later she stood up. She is a bit wobbly but was walking around some. I got a little bit fluids in her and offered her some scrambled eggs and wet food but she did not take it. She dosent seem to be interested in food at all.

We have had a ridicupusly hot August and I'm hoping they havent taken a toll on her.

That is good that she is a little better and standing. Try getting more water into her. Poultry NutriDrench is good as a boost 2 ml daily given orally for a few days. That has the needed vitamins and electrolytes, although I would add 400 IU of E, if she still has symptoms of wry neck. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom