30- 50 years raising chickens who don't know what bumblefoot is? WOW!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bluebirdnanny, Mar 17, 2015.

1. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Hard to believe older experienced Chicken keepers don't know...what bumblefoot is!! I am meeting so many more people around who "used to raise chickens all my life" and they don't know what it is. This surprised me that they didn't notice any problem with chicken health in 30+ years of chicken raising!

I watch my flock and I notice if something is off. Might take me a day or two to figure out what is wrong but I usually find it fast.

Sorry for the negative tone. I was just amazed at the fact of what I am finding out by talking to "old timer" or "experienced" chicken raisers/farmers.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Back in the day, sick or injured birds were killed and discarded to 'protect' the flock. The use of antibiotics on 'food' was not thought to be a good idea.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm often surprised by what people don't seem to know, but I also realize not everyone gets into their hobbies like I do! This doesn't really surprise me very much. The worst is when someone asks for advice and then constantly argues with you about why you are wrong. Recently went through this with someone who experienced sick birds after introducing a new bird without quarantining. This person was just insistent that the new bird was healthy so she didn't need to quarantine.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and move on, but it is people like this that help put other flocks at risk for diseases. (Especially with the recent outbreak of avian flu, I'm sure this is something we all want to avoid!)

1 person likes this.
  4. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Yeah and this last person insisted in all that time he never HAD any problems with his other than hawks and predators taking a few away.

Since I will be breeding/hatching I have one that will get culled for laying double yolks and occasional egg bound problems. Don't want to promote that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by