30 days???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kees, May 2, 2008.

1. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Has anyone had eggs that are nearly a month old? I have hens sitting on them but when I opened one last week I killed an embryo that was fully developed but had quite a bit of yolk attached to what looked like a white unmbilicial cord.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it wasn't moving around, it probably was long dead. Or... another hen hopped in, laid an egg, and it was going to hatch in the next few days or so.

The average hatch is 21 days after the egg has been set on, plus or minus up to 2 days normally. Few make it after day 23, but there are slim cases of day 24's or later.

3. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately it was moving, until I opened the eggshell. I don't understand how they wouldn't have hatched yet!

4. kees

Feb 5, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I don't know how but I have ONE baby silkie chick today! Hopefully that means that more will be coming soon! All of the eggs that I have are at different stages of development, whenever the hens laid them and some from 2 swaps.

I have to remove the chicks as they hatch and care for them separately or the hens will never start to hatch again and the different breeds won't be separate.

So...to all of you folks who seem to have been waiting FOREVER...I never heard any pipping or saw any movement but my Silkie eggs must be the slowest to hatch or my hens must be very relaxed about timing but I HAVE A CHICK!

[​IMG]:weee

Last edited: May 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by