30 Hens for 1 Rooster to breed??

Mader631

Songster
10 Years
Dec 18, 2009
How many hens can a Rooster Breed? I have my Pure bred Shamo Rooster with 30 barnyard Mix Hens..................can he breed all these hens?? If i took the eggs to hatch, would they all be fertile, I mean a pretty good percentage fertile?

That seems like a lot of hens for the rooster to keep up with. We have 28 hens and 2 roos...we get most eggs fertile. If he is an active roo, them possibly he could make his rounds.

Had that situation recently. BR rooster over 30 hens. For awhile, most of the eggs were fertile, then it began to drop off with some of the hens. Seemed the BR eggs stayed fertile. Had his brother in with him for awhile, but he refused to share and I got tired of the fights so Dutch got them all to himself. Now, since he's almost two years old, I put him and his BR ladies into a separate coop so he could keep up with the fertilizing job. My younger Delaware rooster is doing well with his 25 or so women. He's not quite a year old.

He will probably give it a good shot, however with that many ladies to choose from he may not chase the ones that dont want caught, so you may wind up with some standoffish hens that he feels are not worth the effort. What can I say its a guy thing.
wink.png

When i plan on breeding, i think I'll put him in with 3 or 4 hens that i want chicks out of.................... I have another coop set up that I could have him in if i pick 6-to 7 hens that I want to hatch eggs from. Would be easyer + better chances for fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom