30 hours after pip, assisted hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TikiRoost6, Apr 20, 2019.

1. TikiRoost6

TikiRoost6 In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    2DD65541-D2D1-4504-A055-D00BE9DFAA3C.jpeg It’s been well over 30 hours since my chicks have pipped. 3 hatched, 2 did not. The 2 that did not pipped on the wrong side of the egg. I started to assist. I peeled away part of the shell & some of the membrane, upped the humidity & put them back in. When I checked on them, this is what I found!! Should I be wore??

to BarbsGirls likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    The chick at the back looks to have unabsorbed yolk sac so is not ready to hatch. The chick at the front still looks to have some blood showing so is also not ready to hatch.
    If they have pipped at the wrong end of the egg that means they have missed their internal pip into the air cell out so they can often take longer to hatch than a chick that internally then externally pipped.
    This is a good read ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

3. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Like she said above, they arent ready. Only when the yolk is mostly absorbed are they ready to hatch. For them, its best for you to just keep an eye on them until the yolk is mostly gone. Ateast id do that for the the one with the yolk. For the other, it seems like its beak is by the hole, so if you leave it be and just watch for breathing ,in the incubator, it should hatch out on its own when its it's re

Coffeebean1947 and to BarbsGirls like this.
  4. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    The one in the back didn’t make it & I made a gut feeling decision to help the one in the front. I’m so glad I did-I’m not sure it would have been able to get out in the position it was in. So far so good. It’s about 24hrs old, eating & drinking & running around with its other hatch mates. B6A90E48-0DCE-4369-868B-11EA84DC3BF8.jpeg

aart likes this.
  5. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Glad it all went well. That chick is really tiny compared to the ones ive hatched XD.

6. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    It’s a Serama chick, but even so it’s smaller than it’s other Serama hatch mates. Hope it makes it!!:fl

7. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Hope so. I had two hatch late, one over a week. My week late one is tiny and seems to have started breathing clicking (clicking while breathing)

8. TikiRoost6

Mar 15, 2017
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I have 1 last egg in my bator that I thought could be dead in shell. After I got home from the Easter festivities, I candled it to be sure (I was going to clean my bator in preparation for the next hatch!) & found that it had internally pipped & was chirping! Hoping it decides to hatch soon!! Today is day 21.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: