30 red broilers are here!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CDennis, Nov 4, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I am so excited my first ever meat birds arrived this morning from Ideal and they appear to be very healthy birds. When I put them in the brood box they found water and food in no time, one even tried to catch a bug! This is going to be fun. What level of protein should they be on to start?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    yay for you! and welcome from another Idahoan [​IMG] Mine have done great on flock raiser (20%) from start to finish.

3. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks for the welcome! I can't believe it, these are HEALTHY little chicks! I expected at least 1-2 losses in shipment, and didn't loose one. So I assumed in the 1st 24 a least 1-2 would die, NOTHING! They are lively and eating/drinking great. I can't speak to the CX because I have never raised them, but if the first 24 is any example of how the broilers will be to raise, I'm hooked!

4. Misty Oak Ranch

Misty Oak Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    Let me chime in on these broiles. I've got 7 here, I used them as packing peanuts. They are 6 weeks old, and are approx. 50% larger than the white rocks and standard cornish they arrived with. They are good foragers, and I have had them ranging for 2 weeks not. Lost one to a dog, but overall I've been pretty happy. They haven't gained weight as fast as they should, and they have had access to clean water and 20% grower 24/7. Partly its the cold here. Overall, I'm going to pass on ordering these again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by