30 week old new hampshire hen depressed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by embem1, Sep 27, 2010.

1. embem1

embem1 New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Hi everyone, can anyone help?, I have 3 new hampshire hens, last thursday one of my other two hens pecked her she made an awful noise and flew over the fench, she continued this noise for about half an hour and wouldn't return with the other two girls, didn't want to walk with them, eat with them and wouldn't go to bed with them, this continued the next day, the following day she wouldn't come out from under one of the garden bushes, she allowed me to catch her and just sat in my arms, i noticed she was wheezing and had bubbles coming out of her eyes??, i put her in a small open topped box and kept her in my back hallway i have monitored her over the weekend i have bathed her eye which has got better, she isn't eating very well either, only eating small amounts , yesterday 4 pellets of food a grape and 4 live worms, today a small amount of banana 1 grape and i made her some scrabbled egg, i have got apple cider vinegar for her water ( since getting her she seemed to have an occasional sneeze ?), I let her own for a walk yesterday and just stood in one spot and didn't move around much so i brought her back in, and today she took one step out and turned around an came straight back in???? anyway i have read loads of things, garlic powder in food,through to scary sounding illnesses and death on here, can she be and is there such a thing of depression?, is she feeling left out as the other two get on well together and follow each other around, any advice would be great many thanks

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    It's common for chickens to pick on a weaker one. I would focus my attention on that wheezing of hers and the "bubbly" eyes. Could be a respiratory infection, cold, or something else. I've seen something similar mentioned in a thread. Type in those two symptoms and see what comes up. I feel ANY animal can suffer from depression, however, it seems her health is the real issue in this case.

Good luck. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it back here.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens don't get depressed. She was chased away by the other hens because they can sense that she is weak and/or sick. She sounds as though she is sick, so the first thing you need to do is separate her from the other hens. There are several respiratory ailments that affect chickens, most are highly contagious, and all of them are no fun. I am not an expert in this aspect of poultry care having never dealt first hand with any respiratory illnesses. I just wanted to clear up any doubt that you may have that she is ill.

Is your coop dusty? Sometimes dusty conditions (and ammonia fumes from excessive waste) can lead to sneezing and bubbling eyes. If this doesn't apply in your situation then I would be looking at a potential disease.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck.

4. embem1

embem1 New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Hi
    thanks for your replies, yes i have kept her separated from the others and i clean the coups out daily, she seemed to be on the mend yesterday but today she seems as if she is getting worse, i have put in a search of her ailments and this have come out with loads of potential awful sounding things, I just wanted to check if anyone had dealt with a similar situation. ??? oh my other two hens are still healthy and active, thanks again

5. embem1

embem1 New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Hi just an update

my chicken died today, she wouldn't eat or drink i tried giving her water through a droplet but it hasn't helped.

6. Tangeygirl

Tangeygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry to hear about your hen [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry for your loss. Keep a close eye on the survivors to make sure they don't start showing the same symptoms. I also might bleach the heck out of any space the sick hen was in. Be sure to also bleach feeders and waterers. I'd also start looking through some old posts with similar symptoms, so if any other birds get sick you have a little more knowledge about what you may be dealing with.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by