30 weeks and counting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ttfoster, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ttfoster

ttfoster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Hi there!
    Super new and I'm so excited to find this site!
    So, I have one Ameraucana (Penny) and one Sussex (Annie) there 30 weeks plus and still no eggs! I keep reading other post and they say they are waiting in the 20's weeks but not 30 some weeks?? Does it usually take this long? Penny is a giant girl! There such neat animals eggs or no eggs their very wonderful! I'm just super excited I can't hardly wait!!

2. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    it can take longer, depends on the breed, where in the world you live etc, some dont lay for 8 months, some lay at 20 weeks, their combs and wattles will become bright red and they will start squatting and stamping their feet when you go near them when they are nearly ready to lay

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Is there anywhere they could be laying their eggs that you aren't seeing? I have read alot about people saying they find eggs in some odd places!

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    [​IMG] I don't know why they haven't laid yet maybe they are to spoiled.

5. I C. Chickens

I C. Chickens New Egg

May 23, 2010
    Monrovia, Ca.
    Hi eyeryone I am also new at this backyard chicken thing, but I am lovin' it. I live in a urban city in California and have 7 chickens: 3 Ameraucana & a Rhode Island Red that are about 29 weeks old. I also have 2 Plymouth Barred Rock & a Brahma that are about 20 weeks.
    I know that at least 2 of the Ameraucanas have been laying since about 27 weeks of age. I get one green and one pink egg daily. I think that one of the Ameraucana hasn't started laying yet and the Rhode Island Red has not started yet also. I too was wondering what was going on... if there was something that I was or was not doing. Any feed back on this would be very helpful. [​IMG]

6. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Are their combs red yet??

7. ttfoster

ttfoster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Thank you all!! This is fun!
    Penny has a light red comb but Annie's is bright red and so big it flops over! I wish there was other places the eggs can be! They have a coop and a run and that's it. We live in a urban area in AZ and even though the neighbors know of them the HOA does not [​IMG] I read tons about them and do lots a research. I'm still not the chicken lady I would like to be, so thanks again for everyone's help!

8. I C. Chickens

I C. Chickens New Egg

May 23, 2010
    Monrovia, Ca.
    Yes, the four older chickens have red combs... I just don't know:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by