-30 winter weather

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Smallfarm25, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Smallfarm25

Smallfarm25 In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2018
    Question is how to keep quail when the temperature gets -30 to -40 with windchill I have a small completely enclosed coop that’s is insulated it’s is 4x8 if I have a thick layer of bedding straw shavings hay , and a heated water dish will this be enough ? do they need a heat source as well ? I have about 13 all together

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Songster

Apr 20, 2015
    -40 is pretty cold.. I think I've read stories of people keeping quail in similar temps and if the coop stays dry and doesn't allow any wind in at all, I think they would likely be okay. But if you have power out there, I'd consider giving them a heat source when the temps in the coop drop below -20 or so. Definitely keep and eye on your birds and see if they seem uncomfortable.

Lady_Bat and Smallfarm25 like this.
  3. ManitobaQuail

ManitobaQuail Chirping

Aug 28, 2018
    Canada
    You should be ok. I know someone who keep them without even insulating the enclosed area and they did just fine last year. Not sure where you're located, but we also get -40 every year. I don't plan on keeping them outside this winter as keeping water from freezing is a pain. I will move them to the shed and plug in the heated water bowl instead this winter..

Lady_Bat and Ducksandchickens like this.
  4. Smallfarm25

Oct 15, 2018
    Just worried that if I don’t provide heat then when the temp does drop and I add it on super cold days you can’t really take it away then

5. Smallfarm25

Oct 15, 2018
    I’m in manitoba I have power in the insulated shed and I’m going to use a heated cat dish for water. I guess time will tell if they will be fine I’ll post the outcome . Thanks

6. Derrin

Derrin Chirping

Sep 29, 2018
    SW Louisiana
    At those temps I would make sure they are all adult birds. If you have any less than twelve weeks definitely give them a heat source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: