300 chickens, pastured egg farm

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickFarmer, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ChickFarmer

ChickFarmer In the Brooder

May 22, 2010
    In about a month I'll be getting 300 day old, pullets. I am starting a pastured egg CSA. I wanted to start a thred on how other egg farmers manage flocks on pasture. About my farm, it's leased, has a grain silo, 4 acres available year round and another 19 after the hay is cut.

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Wow! Huge undertaking! Good luck!

3. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    I did something like this 4 years ago. Had a buddy watch my 200 birds while I went out of town for a long weekend. Came back and I had 7 birds left. Coyote or dogs took down my electric poultry netting and finished the flock in two days.

Now I just keep enough for my family.

4. "I'll be getting 300 day old, pullets. I am starting a pastured egg CSA."

Wow. I'll be so interested in this. Is 4 acres enough for that many birds? I was reading a link from a thread and pasturing is fascinating...and a lot of work!

Good luck w/ it. In a short description, what's yer game plan? Tractors/paddocks?? Are the fields already divided? Will you keep the flock together in the feeding area?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

5. ChickFarmer

May 22, 2010
    Well I'll have three mobile roosting houses and one mobile nestbox house. The pastures are fenced with field fencing attached to a three rail fence. I'll add hot wire to keep preditors from digging in or climbing over. I don't think 75 per acre will be too many since I'll be giving the pasture a rest periodically.

6. ChickFarmer

May 22, 2010
    I'm going to keep updating. I hope others find it interesting even if they only daydream about having hundreds of chickens. The feed mill will deliver to my silo but the minimum is 3 tons. I don't realy want to keep the feed around that long especialy in warm humid weather. They do however also sell scratch at 395 a ton, and all the feed additives needed to mix my own. Soy meal 14.95 per 50lb calcium 3 per 50lb. Scratch should stay fresher than crumble and I can mix it with an electric chipper shreder, or offer it cafeteria style. Chick starter is a different matter I'll buy one ton at 552 per ton bagged.

7. Ah, so you're supplementing the pasturing w/ feed? Whoa, i can't imagine working w/ "tons" of anything!

How is it 75 per acre? You will rotate them separately? How long will one of the fields be fallow?
    THX!

8. ChickFarmer

May 22, 2010
    I'll just have to see how fast the pasture recovers to find out how long a rest it needs. The chickens will be in one flock on 4 acres at a time.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you're going to need more predator protection than hot wire and field fence.

10. ChickFarmer

May 22, 2010
    What do you reccomend for additional protection. Keep in mind that it is for 4 acres and these are not pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by