300 chicks in the back yard!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AgroUrica, Feb 21, 2013.

1. AgroUrica

AgroUrica Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Hi everyone! New here but think I'll find lots of helpful information at this site and am looking forward to spending some time here.

I'm currently working with 300 broiler chicks that have been with me for 20 days now. Amazing how fast they grow. The climate here (Venezuela) is generally good right now as we're entering summer.....it's dry and warm during the day and cool at night, but not too cool. We should have very little rainfall until about mid-May.

Achieving the right temperature for these guys has been a challenge since day one. While I've got a thermometer, it's not the most accurate and I've been basically flying by the seat of my pants. I started the 300 birds out in an enclosed area (an outside bathroom) of roughly 9 feet by 9 feet. While I monitored temps and weather conditions 5 or 6 times a day, I mostly relied on the birds themselves to tell me if they were too cold or too warm. So far that seems to have worked well.

On day 13 I moved the birds to a larger (9 feet by 17 feet) half-walled, roofed pen. It's lighted at night and I have curtains I can lower to prevent chilly breezes or wind-blown rain from entering. Again, the birds are doing well (still have the original 300) and I'm working right now to double their living space in the next couple of days. From there I've got a large, roofed shed with walls on two sides that I've been using as a temporary home for adult broilers. The young birds will eventually occupy that space before going to market.

I haven't raised chickens since I was a child (and that was just for fun) and am really enjoying it this time as well. In the last month or so I've bought and re-sold about 1,000 adult broilers and have found that it's a very profitable business.

I'd appreciate any helpful advice or hints you guys might have and would be glad to answer any questions. Thanks to those who established this helpful site.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Wow. Congrats on them thriving. Do you resell them live?

3. Dagirls

Dagirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Moloaa, Kauai, HI
    Not sure what your nighttime temperatures are in Venezuela? It seems each time I get chicks it is a new issue. I am here in Hawaii and got my chicks early because it has been warm. Of course the storms hit. I have 4 week old chicks that I have had to have lights on a rarity here and now am dealing with all the issues light cause.. I want to let them out but too cold and the rats get them. Do you have rats there? Good luck to you and your chicks.This sight is awesome.

4. AgroUrica

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks jdywntr! This is my first time raising them from scratch. I will sell some live and some dressed.

I've been buying ready-for-market broilers from producers about 30 minutes drive from here and reselling them here in the pueblo where I live. Most folks don't have transportation so there's very little competition in that regard. Some I sell immediately wholesale and others I keep on hand for a week or so fattening them further on corn and then selling them in the local market or direct from the house retail.

5. AgroUrica

Feb 20, 2013
    Dagirls, I'd imagine that just about every spot on earth has rats these days with the possible exception of the poles. Nighttime temps here run in the mid 70's right now. The lowest I've ever seen it was in the upper 60's.....comfortable for me, freezing for the locals.[​IMG]

6. Dagirls

May 5, 2012
    Moloaa, Kauai, HI
    Hardware cloth is my friend with the chicks. Rats have a hard time chewing it and the chicks dont stick there heads out. Seems like same temps as here. Still have lights on at night here now with 70 degree temps thankfully probably next week they will be without the lights. They are getting their feathers. 300 peepers that is work. Keep up the good work[​IMG]

7. AgroUrica

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks Dagirls! They are work but I'm really enjoying it. I also produce cattle and hogs but watching how fast these birds grow is a lot more fun. A question. You mention "issues" that having lights on at night bring. What issues are those exactly? My birds have the lights on all night, every night, but for now it's more a matter of them being able to feed 24 hours a day.

8. Dagirls

May 5, 2012
    Moloaa, Kauai, HI
    Just getting back on line. Thank for the reply. I think back at light issues and they were just seeming so hot hard for me to temp controp. It is warm here but not warm enough for chicks. I am now up to 300 and thought back on this conversation. More work washing eggs then dealing with the hens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by