$300 for chicken meds

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamaKate, Jan 10, 2009.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I was poking around trying to find a chicken calendar and ran across a chicken rescue using calendars to raise money. It sounded like a good cause, so I checked it out. They totally lost me, however, when I read their page on chicken care. They say to expect to pay $300 per year for ROUTINE veterinary care. [​IMG] I don't spend that much for an 80 pound dog!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yeah that is a little bit on the high side. [​IMG]

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:You might want to check what you're doing if you don't spend that much on your dog...between vaccines, fecals, heartworm checks and preventative, flea control, etc. Just a thought. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I would never spend $300 on ANY chicken...LOL-LOL

and I give my own shots to dogs, cats, etc....so yea I don't hit that for routine care for bigger animals either.

whew.....see a targeted group, like Chicken Lover/Rescuer type groups and take anything so far......but hey whatever floats your boat!

maybe that was for 50 chickens in one year????LOL

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I got 4 cats and I don,t spend on all of them that much every year, and they still get thier shots.

Omran.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You can buy most vaccinations at the feed store and do it yourself. I think rabies is the only controlled vaccination.

$300/yr sounds REALLY high!!

7. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I have several cats and dogs and they only see a vet for rabies shots or if something is beyond my experience. I've been doing this for awhile, so that's pretty rare. I'm kind of anti- high tech medicine anyway. In the last 20 years, I haven't spent $300 TOTAL for professional medical services for my three youngst kids. And yes, they are strong healthy people with beautiful smiles. Prevention is the key.

Lots of edits . My already mentioned 80 pounder is helping me type.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  8. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    All animals, including humans, (correction: primarily humans) are over vaccinated. It's only getting worse the more pharmaceuticals and lobbyists continue to push their agenda for the government to mandate vaccines.

I keep thinking how wonderful it would be if, in my lifetime, more people would just say, "No".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by