31 weeks and no eggs from 6/10 hens - do I have a problem?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Branch Chickens, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    My hens are 31 weeks old. 4 of them have started laying. One of them started and then stopped in early October, I assume because of the declining light. 6 hens have yet to lay an egg.
    Does this indicate a problem, or does it just mean that I'll have to wait until the light increases in the spring? We live in Maine, and I've read of a lot of people around here having more issues with laying this fall.
    I am perfectly willing to wait until spring, but I'm hoping there isn't some other issue affecting them.

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

It is likely just from the shorter days. Does it look like there is anything wrong with them?

3. Branch Chickens

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    Not really. The one EE who stopped laying in October (after laying for a month and a half) has some feathers missing in the eyebrow area (pinfeathers growing in right now), but all the rest of the hens look perfectly normal. They're active and foraging, eating at approximately the same rate. Their feathers are shiny, and I have checked for mites and not seen anything.

4. Savoryhill

Savoryhill New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm also live in Maine and my hens are 31 weeks and still no eggs. They seem perfectly healthy and happy. Will they just wait until spring now that's December?

5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

You probably will not see much until spring.

6. Savoryhill

Savoryhill New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    That's too bad. I'm a first time chicken owner and excited about these ladies...is there a particular feed that none recommends? I'm feeding them purine right now but I'm not sure if they like is as much as the grower feed they initially had. I only have 4 hens. 2 bard rocks, 1 RI Red and an Araucana. Thanks!

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Despite the dingy damp overcast weather we have here the past few weeks, my first home broody hatched and reared farmyard mutt pullets started laying last week at 23.5 weeks, so don't give up hope just yet.
    I had resigned myself to not getting eggs from them till next year and now they are competing for the nest boxes! Just tiny little blue green eggs but I'm thrilled with them non the less. Hope you get some soon too.

Best wishes

Barbara

8. Savoryhill

Savoryhill New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Barbara,
    That's great! Congratulations on the eggs and blue at that!
    I'm still hopeful but also ok with it because this is a natural process.
    Still anxious though! :)

9. Branch Chickens

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    @Savoryhill , I feel like there has been something about this year that has been different. I bought my chicks at the time everyone recommended (April), and we did have a couple start laying, but the rest seems to have taken a break from maturing. Comb size and color is staying the same, not squatting, etc. That being said, we did have one hen start up toward the end of October, so I haven't given up hope. We just moved our chickens from their outdoor coop into our barn, and there are options for lighting in there, so I may supplement a bit. Then again, maybe I should just be patient [​IMG]

Keep me posted here on what your hens do, and I'll do the same!

10. Savoryhill

Savoryhill New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Yes, I think you're right about this year being a bit odd. A few of my friends have had a lengthy wait as well but not quite as long as I've been waiting. Mine are staying in the coop through winter so I hope they are hardy enough to make it. I'm not heating it or supplementing light. Good luck with your girls and I'll keep you up to date here for sure!
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by