32 Degrees and the girls wanted OUT...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cetawin, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I finally relented and let them into their run when it was about 34 degrees...is it okay for them to spend the day out in those temps?

They do have access to the inside of the coop where the heat lamps are on and it is about 55 degrees.

They do not like being confined inside and were cackling like all get out...I would not want to be forced inside either so I gave in...is that okay?

2. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    My birds have free access in and out year round. I am in a cold climate and if I shut them in for winter they'd be indoors 24/7 for 6 months of the year!

Sunshine and fresh air are good for them. Year round. Us too.

They will go back in when they want to or if they get chilled. Remember they are wearing nice custom made down coats.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My chickens go outside on their own even if it's in the teens outside. They just don't like alot of snow, so I've been shoveling an area for them.

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Oh let'em out...

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    They'll be fine! [​IMG]

Our gang spends some of the most miserable weather out in their run (they have 24/7 access to the coop and fully enclosed run). We've seen the silly things roost outdoors at night in temperatures down in the single digits. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mine have been outside in temps that are below zero with no negative consequences. Of course, they can get back to the coop whenever they want & it's got a heat lamp...

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It was about 5 degrees here this morning when I let the girls out. They've been out and about all day.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

They'll be fine- least ways mine always are. Just let 'em wander and go back in the coop when they feel the need. It just barely cracked 32 degrees here today and they have wandered the yard all day and I even got the same amount of eggs I usually do.

9. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

my girls are lovin it today, they have an enclosed and covered run, But I made some snowballs and put them in there. What a riot watching them peck those to pieces!

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] Same temp here - we never got OVER 35 today. The girls and boys have been out and about most of the day - they do go into the horse barn to look and see if there are any goodies in there.

I don't have heat in the coop for them either - so indoors / outdoors its about the same. No shock to the system to step outside.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by