32 eggs set October 10th

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happi752, Oct 14, 2009.

1. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    I set 32 eggs on October 10th. These eggs are buff orpingtons and white rocks. I am going to candle on Oct. 16th. Here is [​IMG] for a good hatch.

I also have my black australorps breeding so I will be setting their eggs in a few days as well. I hope to double my flock this winter so they will be laying come spring.

2. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    [​IMG] for a successful hatch!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good luck!

4. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Where are you brooding all of these chicks over the winter?? I really wish I could brood all winter. Unfortunately my husband is allergic to the chickens. So no indoor brooding for me. We haven't put the walls on the goat barn so I can't brood out there.

When we put the brooding pen for our current chickens in the basement last spring and my husband couldn't go down there without an asthma attack. So when I got my Delawares this summer I moved them out to the garage where there was more airflow, then he couldn't go in the garage. So, all our chickens will always be outdoor chickens, which doesn't bother him in the least. He loves them when they are outside.

Laney

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm sorry laney but i can't help with winter, i don't have any snow here since i were born. [​IMG]

but, i've think, you can still have them outside by providing lamp that could produce heat enough to cover them heat in winter. that's what i'm thinking, but i don't think it'll work since i never experience with it in winter. [​IMG]

good luck happi752

6. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I am on day 19 with some of mine and have ducks in the bator. Good luck on your hatch!

7. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    I live in the desert in Arizona. I have a very small mobile home with 520 square feet of living space. My incubator is under my computer desk next to my feet. The brooder is a cardbord box setting in the bathtub in the bathroom with a heat lamp hanging over it.

I have learned so much about chickens.

The truth be told about chickens, from my perspective:

I have found that the incubator temps can vary from 97 degrees up to 101 degrees and still have an 80 to 85% hatch.

I have found that the humidity only has to be around 30 to 40% until they acutally hatch out.

I have found that you can leave the humidity at that low level until the moment they pip, and you can take a wet sponge, zap it in the microwave 30 secs to get it good and hot, open bator and toss it in. That will immediately raise the humidity to 85% and you will have perfect hatches.

I have found that the new born chick only really needs a lot a warmth for the first week of life. After the first week, you can start turning the heatlamp off during the day and they will huddle to stay warm if they get chilled during the day. But they need the heat lamp at night for 4 weeks.

I have learned that at the end of 4 weeks, I can toss them outside in one of the brooder pens I have fixed up in the run with the hens. They will be just fine out there at this age even at night as long as the temps are not below 40 degrees. After they feather out completely the temps don't matter too much as long as it is not freezing temps.

I have learned that I do not need to build a hen house, as they all live in their runs 24/7. The runs are completely covered with wire and poultry netting so nothing can get inside the runs.

We do have coyotes out here but the dogs keep them away and we have no problems with the coyotes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by