1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

32 week old EE's not laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmgirl217, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Farmgirl217

Farmgirl217 In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2017
    Hey everyone!

Hope you all had a great holiday season! I got chickens in September and am a first time chicken owner! I figured they were about 18 weeks when we got them, that would put my girls at about 32 weeks old now. I was hoping we would get some eggs before the new year... but no such luck. :( We have had some pretty cold temperatures lately, highs in the teens and low twenties with even colder wind chills. They still come out of the coop but are spending more time inside and out of the wind. Is there anything I can do or possibly feed them to promote egg-laying? I believe around 26 weeks is average for them to start laying.

Hope you all have a great New Year!!!

Cl2Abbeyrd likes this.
  2. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    What are you currently feeding them? Do you have nest boxes, if so what are the sizes? Does your coop have a window? are their combs bright red or very pale and shriveled?

Farmgirl217 likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Easter Eggers have been selected/bred primarily for egg color - production is not as early or high with them as production bred birds. Spring hatched birds might have started laying before the shortened day period. Your birds will most likely not start laying until day length increases. Patience.

bobbi-j and Cl2Abbeyrd like this.
  4. Cl2Abbeyrd

Cl2Abbeyrd Chirping

Jul 10, 2016
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I have 3 Easter eggers, too, and just posted in the pictures and stories thread about their first winter so far!

Mine are about 2 weeks older than yours, and only 2 are laying. My houdan-ee cross STILL hasn’t laid an egg at 34 weeks. The other 2 started at 28 and 31 weeks.

At this point, I’m figuring they won’t lay again until spring. Still waiting to see what color egg our slacker is going to lay.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-3-girls-and-their-first-milwaukee-winter.1214082/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Farmgirl217 and sourland like this.
  5. Farmgirl217

Oct 15, 2017
    @Welshies We are currently feeding them DuMor 16% layer pellets. We have three nesting boxes in our coop that are about 12x12, the coop has two windows that can be closed, and the combs are a bright red and seem to be larger as of lately.

6. Farmgirl217

Oct 15, 2017
    @sourland Thanks! I can't wait for my first egg!

sourland likes this.
  7. Farmgirl217

Oct 15, 2017
    @Cl2Abbeyrd Thanks for the information! Good luck with your girls, especially the slacker, haha! :)

Cl2Abbeyrd likes this.
  8. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    If they are not laying don't feed them layer pellets :)
    The comb is a good sign but your coop may be way too light for them to lay.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Easter Eggers do best on a higher protein diet. And switching to layer before they are ready to lay can drastically slow down their development, taking them even longer to start laying. They need to be kept on a feed with at least 18% protein content.

sourland and Cl2Abbeyrd like this.
  10. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Maintenance feed or all flock feed (18% or 20%) seems to be the general favorite here. Provide a side of free-choice oyster shell and those gals will do fine.

Farmgirl217 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: