32 Week Old RIR's not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by outdoorzgirl, Jan 5, 2011.

1. outdoorzgirl

outdoorzgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Lexington, NC
    I have 4 RIR's. According to the woman that sold them to me, I estimate their age at approx. 32 weeks. I have had them for almost 2 months. I initially thought that 3 out of the 4 were laying, but now I am positive only 2 of the 4 are laying. Shouldn't the other 2 be laying as well at 32 weeks? Are they late bloomers, or is it possible they will never lay for me? They are healthy, happy hens.

Edited to add that even my Americauna of the same age has been laying regularly for 3 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. nodoggies

nodoggies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm having the same problem with one of my 34-week-old Australorps. Five of them have been laying for three months now, but not number six. They all seem happy and healthy...

3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    wow,mine start laying at 17 weeks.but keep on a 20% protien.but they will lay when they are ready and they will lay

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Its simply the lack of daylight during the winter time. I just added a "shop light" to my pens that comes on at 5am. After about a week, my egg production jumped significantly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by