32 weeks old and stil no eggs..

kjpanda

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
Ok, so how long do I give 2 of my girls before I make chicken soup out of them? Four of our 6 girls have been laying for 11 weeks now; but not these two. They have an insulated cop, with extended lighting hours in the morning are only free ranging when I am outside with them. They are all pullets, of that I am certain.

We have three sets of "twin" girls; 2 Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 white Plymouth Rocks. Both of the white Rocks are great layers and started first, but they are 1 week older. One Barred rock and one Australorp stated about the same time, but the other two girls? Nothing, nada, zilch. The Barred is just barely beginning to get larger wattles and comb and they have started to get red, but not the Australorp, not at all.

Sigh........

Where did you get them? I had two Dominiques from the hatchery. One was much smaller for the breed. She did lay but she was never as big as she should have been.

You could check to see if they are laying by holding them under your arm facing backwards. Then take your two fingers and hold them side by side between the two bones near the vent. If the space is at least two fingers wide then they are laying.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

Look for rats i have had the same problem of in the past. You might not physically see rats but look for signs like droppings. They will eat eggs but also stress birds causing even ones that were laying to stop laying.

I have a large breeder orpington that just started laying at 37 weeks old. And I have a hatchery barred rock that is 30 weeks and still not laying. Don't give up quite yet. Day length doesn't affect pullets the same way it affects hens over a year old. Many of them will lay all winter no matter what. Then the second year, slack off during the lower number of daylight hours in winter.

I got them the 1st of April at a local feed store, so they are just run of the mill hatchery gals.

No rats, the coop is pretty much a fortress. Even the little field mice haven't gotten in!

The space between the two bones by the vent is not wide enough, so no, they aren't laying.

I do supplement the lighting, they have 12 - 13 hours a day.

I guess I will continue to be patient with them, but chicken soup sure does sound tempting!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom