33 degrees first night out, worried first time chicken owner/parent!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oshy, Feb 1, 2015.

1. oshy

oshy New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    HI guys, this is my first post so be kind :p Okay so I'm a first time chicken owner to 2, 8 week old 'chicks'. I introduced them to the coop around 6-7 weeks so during the day they have been outside in the coop/run semi supervised. My brooder just isn't big enough anymore not even for sleeping... I know they will eventually have to go outside permanently so just wanted to get them out asap and get it over with :( I'm terribly worried and just want to know if they will be okay outside tonight as its currently 0 Celsius and is going to hit -3! they're currently quite warm to the touch (keep checking to see if they're okay) and are cuddled in the nest box together :) should I bring them inside or be brave and let them out for the night?.
    Thank you for reading and ALL advice is welcome :D

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It depends on how draft-free your coop is.

Some people here on BYC have coops that are basically built as well as a house, with insulation and a good roof, etc.

And then there are those with drafty, hutch-type coops.

I have had both kinds of coop, and thus my answer to you is that if you feel your little cuties will have a wind on them they will be too cold. If they are completely out of the wind and in a nice tight space (a huddle box) they will be just fine!

What you wish to avoid is taking chicks off a heat lamp and placing them directly out into a very cold coop with no added heat.

I hope this helps!

Go with your gut!

3. oshy

oshy New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    They've been off the light for a few weeks now so should be accustomed to the slight cold. As for draft I'll a picture of my coop :) I know I shouldn't allow them but they're currently snuggled in one next box together so should be out of the draft :) I've put in a quite a lot of hay in there to keep them warm and also a little blanked to stop further draft hahah :p I'll add picture of them both at 3-4 weeks :)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

Oh you have a nice draft-free situation there!

They should be OK in my opinion.

One thing I have done for my chickens is to provide a cardboard box to huddle in (turned sideways with bedding in it), or a tote. The close surroundings really concentrate the heat for extra cold situations where you are having a feeling they will die without something.

You have a little bit of time to get them out of the habit of sleeping in the nest box. Mine still do, and I allow it. But since I have switched to using sand in my nestboxes and coop, I simply scoop the nestbox with a kitty litter scoop every morning, along with the rest of the coop to remove all poo. Before, when I used shavings, I became frustrated at having to toss so many shavings every day as I cleaned out the nestboxes.

For the cold you are describing I think they will be just fine, but I mention the cardboard huddle box for the reason that you only have two chickens and some people block off nestboxes for juveniles.

5. jneerwin

jneerwin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern NM
    Oshy, let me know how they do in the cold. I will be in the same situation very soon!

6. oshy

oshy New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    Thanks ChickensAreSweet really appreciate the advice :) Just for the first few nights I'll them as they are in the nest boxes just to let them get used to it and stop the drafts ect I'll use the cardboard box idea as I don't want them sleeping in them permanently! and jneerwin I'll post first thing in the morning to update hopefully all is well.

7. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015

Curious about what type of sand you use in your coop, I'm about to begin my adventure with chicks here soon! Still in planning stages. I hope your chicks do ok, and keep us updated!

8. ChickensAreSweet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by