33% Hatch rate on these shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by frenchblackcopper, Jul 8, 2011.

1. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    As depressing as this season has been for buying shipped eggs,,,guess this bunch wasn't that bad of an average. 18 eggs shipped and 6 hatched and it was HOTT the week they were shipped. Got 6 Charcoal,6 B/S-Peach and 6 Opals,seems the Opals did the best with 4 actually hatching out.Here are some pics of them.
    [​IMG]
    Here are the B/S-Peach
    [​IMG]
    Another
    [​IMG]
    Here are the 4 Opals we got,seems the one on the far right has pied in it,,and the lighter one next to it,seems not to have barring in the wing and is very light across the back.
    [​IMG]

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Oh they are so cute! Congrats on your hatch! [​IMG]

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Very cute and grats on the hatch! What I wouldn't give for a pied opal :eek:

33% isn't bad either, not for shipping in the summer! You'll probably have your hands full with six peas!

4. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    I have possibly 8 more to hatch this coming week,,and that's it for this summer.I've thrown out no less than 40 eggs for myself that I've bought that was shipped and never materialized and also had to pitch about as many Bandbaustin sent to me to hatch,,,niether of us had much luck on shipped eggs this year.And it sets me back on my breeding plans one more year because not 1 of 18 Cameo eggs materialized.

5. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I was disapointed in my hatch I set 29 eggs and hatched out 11 chicks 2 were 2 weak and died within 24 hrs.all but 2 eggs were fertile...most died at about the 27 or 28 day..all IBs but boy howdy are they gonna have everything they could ever want...I intend to spoil them rotten....I do have a question I put vitimins in my chickins water is it ok to put in their water also...

6. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    The four opal chicks you hatch only two looks to be opal color. Opal chicks will be a light gray color.

7. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    DMF,,Spoke to Loudenfarms on this,,they do have a pied male in with their Opals,,two of these chicks looks pure Opal,,one definately is showing Pied,,the other one seems to be showing silver,,so if their breeding male in this pen was Silver Pied,,is it not possible for chicks to show one of the genetic traits,and not both? I thought Jay mentioned a W/E male in this pen as well,,,

8. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    No there is not a pied or silver pied male in that pen. There is an opal silver pied female, opal females and one spalding split opal female. That pen has two males in it (they get along fabulously) one is a white eye the other is just opal. We do not have pattern history on these male birds so they may or may not be split to an additional pattern. If it was an opal that hatched the pied bird then one of the males would be split pied.

9. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    I've got to write all this down,so when I start setting eggs in 2 years, I can keep straight what is in whats genetics,,,,making new notes now,,and the two B/S peach,,,the peachy color is getting more defined on ther wings each day,,,hoping,,,and hoping here they are hens,and my single remaining peach-spalding egg hatches this week.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    nice bunch of chicks, love the peach blackshoulders , those are still in high demand, lot of people been trying to buy them from me, buy i sold my peach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by