33 week old buffs not laying~

Deedrahsue

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Fresno, TX
I read the forums, I have seen one man who said 27.5 weeks, I think I have been patient, no? Yes!

Good grief, ok so I realize they are late bloomers and all but uhhhggg!
duc.gif
:duc Last year I purchased 4 buff and 4 plymouth rock, they fought horribly, so this year I thought I'd stick to buff still have my others, but seperated in coops. All eating the same laying pellets plenty of water at their want, free range, scrap and seed feed, HELP!
he.gif
I love my babies but whats wrong please help. Thanks
D.gif

I have two Back Copper Marans the same age as yours, with large red combs and wattles - but no eggs. I will egg wait with you!!!

As much as I love the various breeds, I am simply not into having non-laying hens, but I digress.

I see you are in Texas? With the heat you all have had, this doesn't surprise me as much. With cooler weather, you may get better production. But... it may also tell you that with your hot summers, the Buffs may not have been the heat hardy breed appropriate for your climate. Just sayin'. We are the virtual polar opposite. With our brutal winters, I am absolutely limited to cold hard, winter laying breeds.

Last edited:
Make sure you let me know soccer mom, I'll be happy if one of us are getting eggs, lol. But yea I wondered if it was the drought, I have buffs that are laying, over a year old, but they are in a more cooled area shaded better I guess. Well I guess that is whats going on with us out here, at least were not evacuating due to wild fires, I will count my blessing I have. Thanks guys the input makes me feel not so alone waiting.
big_smile.png

Quote:
We're in Oklahoma, and I'm wondering if our drought and excessive heat is the reason that my hens haven't started laying. I hope that you got some of the rain that came through today! Maybe it will be an impetus for the hens to lay:D

Yes my entire church is praying for rain, but no rain today, the forecast doesn't show any relief anytime soon either. I am sorry for all of us without rain. I may just start them on something else like corn and sunflower seed to help, we eat a lot of fruit they love the scraps from cantaloup mangos and corn, so maybe that will help them, I need to freeze the scraps maybe that will provide some relieve I agree with all of you, they must me in distress, as am I lol. Good luck to us all I'm praying for rain.

My girls are about10 months now, and they have stopped laying. I have been told it's due to the high temps we had this summer. They are usually great layers, but they have slowed down dramatically. Hopefully it's just the weather and nothing else...

Any eggs yet? One of my 8 months old Marans just finally gave me an egg! Of 5 hens, we get 2-3 eggs a day? Keep me posted:)

Back
Top Bottom