34 weeks and not laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snazzyboots, Nov 16, 2011.

1. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    We have 4 pullets that are 34 weeks old now. They haven't started to lay yet. I know this is discussed at length on here but I thought by this age they would have started. They are happy healthy and spoiled. They free range my yard and I don't think they are laying in the yard. We kept them locked up for a few days and nothing. They eat layer food and don't get many treats. They all have bright red combs and wattles and look ready. Could it just be the shorter days keeping them from laying? Other than adding light are there any other suggestions? Thanks

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    What breed?

Each breed reaches laying age at a diffrent time, pending on how fast they muture

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That's about all you could do. Keep them locked up or secure in the run. I don't like to release point of lay pullets to range until they've mastered laying in the nests.

Light therapy is used by many. It is a choice. Or, you can just wait until the days lengthen in February. If you're interested in adding light, there are some pointers we can give you.

4. snazzyboots

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    One is a black copper marans one is a speckled Sussex and 2 orpingtons. We may do the light but haven't decided on that yet. We will continue to wait somewhat patiently as long as nothing is wrong and we are doing what needs to be done. We love our girls very much. Thanks for the help. We may try locking them up again.

5. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Do you have inspiration eggs (golf balls or plastic eggs, etc) in the nesting boxes? I had one hen that was broody for a few days, and another hen that was clearly ready to lay, but neither was laying and it was getting silly. I returned the inspiration eggs to the nesting boxes, and the POL hen who had never laid before went berserk with the egg song. She was laying within a day or two after that. Maybe they just need that little nudge.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

6. snazzyboots

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    yup. we have had golf balls in the nest boxex for a while now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by