36 chicks came in the mail...2 have now died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaumlauf, Mar 14, 2017.

1. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    We oredered 36 chicks and they arrived 3 days ago weak, from 3 days in the mail. They revived with warmth, food and water. I put TS Probiotic and Electrolytes in water, and behavior improved. Pasty butts on 10 yesterday, removed plugs. More pasty butts today. Will remove now. 2 have died, never really thrived. One more looks like it's on the way out. Is this to be expected? It's our 1st time with mailed chicks. We bought the 55 cents each ones, rather than the $2 each. How do I prevent them from dying?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think you're doing all you can. Dehydration is the biggest culprit that does in young chicks. 2 (or 3) lost from 36 isn't too out of line. Hope the rest thrive!!! Good luck to you!

3. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    I'm so sorry that all your chicks didn't make it. Unfortunately it's one of the issues with shipped chicks due to the stress of being in the mail and the time/temps on their journey.

I bought 19 total and have lost 2 of the broilers and 1 of the layers. Do you have a TSC or a Southern States nearby that you can purchase a bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drench? It's about $7.99 and it seems like it will last me ages! One drop in each chick's beak for them to swallow down will give them an instant dose of vitamins and I swear it helped bring my little Barnevelder back from the brink. Also help them drink some plain water if they (esp any sickly ones) aren't doing it on their own, and help them get down some wet chick starter. Someone suggested a little sugar water to give the struggling ones a quick boost of energy.

What temp is your brooder? Is there enough space in it for a warm spot and slightly cooler areas?

I'm sure someone who knows more than me will be by shortly to help out more!

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
  5. kaumlauf

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Thank you! The rest are doing fine. Strong and active.

6. kaumlauf

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA

7. kaumlauf

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Thank you for your help. Sorry for the delay in response- I will keep your suggestions in mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by