1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

36 crickets and about 30 seconds later....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by earnhardtlvr, Apr 16, 2011.

1. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    OMG! We stopped at Petsmart on the way home today and bought 36 crickets for 26 chicks...about 30 seconds later they were [​IMG] ALL GONE!! [​IMG] It was hilarious! [​IMG] I have a bunch of really happy peeps!! [​IMG] I found 3 nice logs to put in the brooder for them to start to learn to roost on. [​IMG] They still haven't taken a dust bath...but I am hoping to see them do it soon!! [​IMG] I can't believe how much fun it is to just sit and watch these little fuzzybutts! [​IMG] Just as I was getting ready to leave I noticed one of my polish girls was roosting on the board I have their water on and had the top of her head on th floor of the brooder...asleep! [​IMG]

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Chicken TV is the best channel ever! Especially when they are chicks!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Hahaha They are so much fun to watch with crickets and mealworms, too!

4. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I fed mine mealworms for the first time this morning, and it was hysterical. I have seen them take dust baths. At first I thought something was wrong with them, but then I realized it's probably normal. I think I am too worried about them. My husband likes them but is pretty sure i have lost my mind.

5. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] Chickens are the best entertainment ever, but I spend so much time watching I get behind on my chores!!!

6. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I had a wood pile full of termites at my old house. I moved the fence to let my hens into the area. Within 3 days, all that was left were whisps of wings in the breeze. I don't think they touched their pellets, just gorged themselves on termites! Talk about win-win!

7. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    My girls go CRAZY over mealworms. I brakethem up because there still chicks and I havent introduced grit. I also had put a price of bread ( the part when you first open a bag and noone eats) and let it sit out until it's rock hard (24 hrs.) and they love peckig at that too.

8. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    You must have a closed-sided brooder. I want to drop some crickets in to our younger ones' brooder but I'm worried about the crickets jumping out. How high can they jump? I think it would be hysterical to watch!

9. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

10. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:Seriously, I don't think u have to worry about the crickets jumping out! My girls pounce on them within seconds. We get the small crickets (they do come in sizes!) and they don't stand a chance! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by