36x12 breeding house/laying house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jsuhre, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jsuhre

jsuhre Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    I started building my chicken coop yesterday. We poured concrete on Friday and the building started this week. There is an 8x8 room in the center for feed storage. 4x8 next to it for brooder. On both sides of the feed storage/brooder is two 14x12 pens. The south side will be split into 4 sections for breeding and the north side will be one big pen for laying hens. This is what we have so far. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] brooder room[​IMG] feed storage[​IMG]

2. jsuhre

Aug 26, 2012
    We got the roof plywood on and the doors on the inside done before the weekend. We also got one of the double doors done on the ends of the building. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Holy cow! Very nice coop - although what you are building hardly seems like a coop! Are you doing chickens commercially or for yourself? How many birds are you planning on, and are you going to have any sort of outdoor run, or are these indoor only chickens?

4. jsuhre

Aug 26, 2012
    Thank you! I am doing them for myself but I would eventually like to start selling chicks over the internet. There will be an outside run but I have not gotten that far yet. I still have to level out the ground before I build the outdoor pen. I originally started out with 25 hens and an 8x8 coop. Then I built a 4x8 coop and another 8x8 coop and had 50 hens and two roosters. It was to much of a hassle to get in three coops every day to feed and water so I decided to build one big one. I plan on having four different breeds. 50-75 laying hens and 12 hens of each breed with a rooster for breeding. So all together I will probably have about 100 chickens.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice!! Do you have a floor plan you could post?

6. jsuhre

Aug 26, 2012
    Yes I sort of have a floor plan I can post later. Most of it we just kind of planned it as we built it

7. jsuhre

Aug 26, 2012
  8. jsuhre

Aug 26, 2012
    We got the removable breeding pens built and installed and I also built nesting boxes and roosts that fold away. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  10. jsuhre

Aug 26, 2012
    I have not updated this in a long time but we are almost completely finished with the building. All we have left to do is run the electricity. I also got the chicks on Wednesday. Here is what we have done.
    [​IMG]
    This is a feed bin I built
    [​IMG]
    This a a wall feeder I made
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Building the runs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a grow out pen
    [​IMG]