37 weeks old and still no eggs... is this normal??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Dec 6, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Do some hens just NEVER lay eggs??

One of my black sexlinks is over 37 weeks old, big and happy and healthy, comb and wattles still small and pinkish - she never goes near the nesting boxes and won't squat for me, no sign of her being ready to lay.

This freeloader is driving me crazy!!

She's so sweet and should be an excellent layer according to the breeder (she's a barred plymouth rock / RIR mix), her sister has been laying small pink eggs faithfully for a about 3 weeks now - the girls are from the same hatch.

I know that there is no rushing a pullet and some are slow to mature but this is ridiculous, all other hens are laying almost an egg a day each!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    If it's any consolation I have a buff orpington that is 35 weeks and the same - comb is barely pink, wattles aren't red like the others. I'm expecting her to lay one doozie of an egg when she finally gets on the box. Can't say if it's normal - most of my other orps deliver an egg a day. I CAN say it's frustrating.

3. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I'm starting to think she's a "dud hen" that will never lay a single egg...

She's eating me out of house and home, too!

37 WEEKS OLD!!

[​IMG]

4. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    one of my 9 month old buff orps layed her first egg yesterday, the other 4 having been laying since summer. I hope that means the roo will like her better.

5. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    OK so there is still hope... [​IMG] [​IMG]

I do wonder though, has anyone ever had a hen that never laid one single egg?

Just curious...

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    HAHAHA!!! I have two Ameraucanas that are 39+ weeks old and two EE that are 36 weeks old and not one egg from the bunch... They will not squat, they show NO interest in being part of large flock (they are a flock of four) as the other hens do, they do not respond to the rooster's calls of treats, they do not go near the nest boxes!! Their combs are tiny (even for rose combs) and just barely pink!
    From time to time I wonder if they are all roosters! Who knows..

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have heard of "dud" hen but never actually had one. 9 months has been the longest wait time for a very few hens that I have had. So waiting is an option, but to culling (dinner table, give away, or sell) her from the flock is another.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This year, I had two girls who didn't lay till after 40 weeks, a banty Cochin and an Easter Egger.

9. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard easter eggers don't lay til they are seven months old

10. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I was told protein added to there deit will help.I gave mine some scratch for the winter time and started to get eggs. Hope this helps Scotty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by