-38 degrees today! Need goose-expert opinion.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Rock Wyandotte, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Rock Wyandotte

Rock Wyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Newbury, Vermont
    I have 4 Pilgrims out in this and they seem to be fine. They are fat and healthy. They have a nice house, clean straw, warm water, feed, scratch and whole kernel corn. How long can they withstand these temps? It may just be me projecting my human 'stuff' on them, but I'm really feeling for them out in this bitter cold. Should I bring them into the garage or anything today???

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I feel your pain were at -35 right now...If your geese are outside and roaming around-they are good---its amazing how they can withstand such horrid temps. I bet if I filled a baby pool of water all 6 of my ducks would be swimming up a storm! Just watch their feet for freezing-they can go inside if they want:)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
  4. Rock Wyandotte

Rock Wyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Newbury, Vermont
    Thanks to both of you for answering so quickly! I do feel better reading the "Naturalist" site.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Did you ever consider that the water you are talking about is about 70 F warmer than the air? Wind is worse than wet. Just provide some dry bedding where they are protected from the wind. If their feet get cold they will set on them until they warm up. About the only place youwill find freeze damage on a goose is on the knob above the bill on Chinas and Africans. Once they get wise to the cold you will see them protecting those by sticking their head under a wing or burying their bills in the feathers on their back.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Did you ever consider that the water you are talking about is about 70 F warmer than the air? Wind is worse than wet. Just provide some dry bedding where they are protected from the wind. If their feet get cold they will set on them until they warm up. About the only place youwill find freeze damage on a goose is on the knob above the bill on Chinas and Africans. Once they get wise to the cold you will see them protecting those by sticking their head under a wing or burying their bills in the feathers on their back.

yes, I considered it-thats why I dont do it-I didnt suggest doing it-I was simply saying they would swim in it IF supplied a pool in this nasty cold weather-but I know better-
    then I said watch theie feet tips from walking around in those temps-not from swimming in it....

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC

yes, I considered it-thats why I dont do it-I didnt suggest doing it-I was simply saying they would swim in it IF supplied a pool in this nasty cold weather-but I know better-
    then I said watch theie feet tips from walking around in those temps-not from swimming in it....

Ok I think you missed my point. water has to be above 32 F. It is like humans sitting in a hot tub when the air temp is 25 F a very enjoyable experience. Since ducks and geese are very water resistant the cold water isn't reaching their body. Oh the heck with it I pretty much stand with my statement that you seldom see freeze damage on waterfowl feet if they are supplied with dry bedding.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:yes, I considered it-thats why I dont do it-I didnt suggest doing it-I was simply saying they would swim in it IF supplied a pool in this nasty cold weather-but I know better-

Ok I think you missed my point. water has to be above 32 F. It is like humans sitting in a hot tub when the air temp is 25 F a very enjoyable experience. Since ducks and geese are very water resistant the cold water isn't reaching their body. Oh the heck with it I pretty much stand with my statement that you seldom see freeze damage on waterfowl feet if they are supplied with dry bedding.

LOL I get yah! its all good-I just have a friend with ding dong water fowl that lost a foot because they stayed too long outside-after swimming in a pool-the hen had her foot frozen to the ground! right into the ground.... when her house was 10 feet away with a heated mat under the hay! I attribute that to "her bulb not being to bright" to go to warmth! haha I know where your coming from though~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by