3am to 11:30am Power Outage = First Lost Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MichiganWoods, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I woke up at 3am with a raging migraine only to hear my 7-year-old and my husband out in the living room stumbling about in search of a flash light. I got up and walked carefully out to where I had stashed two emergency flash lights and flipped mine on. The other I handed to my daughter. I went straight for the Bayer aspirin and a bottle of water. I thought about going out to check on the chickens, but there wasn't much I could do for them at that point. The wind was howling and branches were cracking off of our 80ft tall trees thanks to the coating of ice they'd received a few hours earlier. I crawled back into bed and decided to just let the medicine take effect. My 7-year-old joined me for the duration of the night.

When the sun came up, I decided it was time to go check on our fluffy friends. I found a bunch of them crammed into one corner. I am guessing they got freaked out due to the lights and heat lamps turning off. I changed their water and refilled their feeders, at which point they all came out of hiding to eat. When I looked back in the corner, this poor little guy was crushed up against the wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think there are three possibilities as to why he died. 1: He was suffocated under the pile of chickens. 2: He was trampled to death. 3: His neck was broken - at least it looked like it could have been.

Both the hubby and I feel bad about this guy. We hadn't quite determined if it was a hen or a rooster, but after seeing pictures I took a few days ago of his comb (the second picture posted), we were really thinking rooster. He was 7 weeks old in the pic and had just made it to the beginning of week 8. He was one of the first babies we hatched, and was one of the friendliest roosters we had. Whenever we'd go out there into the coop, he would hop up onto a little box next to me and just sit and watch me. He had no reservations about sitting very close to us. In fact, the other day he had started to sit on my husband's lap.

Rest in peace, little boy! He was turning out to be so pretty too. Such a shame.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, i'm so sorry! Poor little guy. He was so pretty. [​IMG]

3. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks, airheart43. I wish I could have at least dug him a little grave but we've got a lot of snow still left, even after all of that rain yesterday. Everything is frozen solid.

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. He was handsome.

5. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks, Bawkadoodledoo.

6. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Cass,
    Just caught up with you on the other thread. I am sorry about your roo. I hope your daughter is handling it well.

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Sorry about your loss. From talking to several individuals that have be raising birds for more that 50 years, piling is a pretty common cause of death. Apparently storms totally freak them out and they crowd in together sometimes crushing one. Losing birds is part of raising chickens but it is never easy. Best wishes.

8. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Beau coop, my daughter(s) are handling it a lot better than I expected them to. I'm the one that seems more bummed than anyone else. Thanks though.

opa, thank you too. I'm at least glad to know the basics of what happened. We have a cat that gets freaked out by the weather and if chickens react the same, well, it's no wonder that the poor guy got run over.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry for your loss, sometimes it just happens even with the best of care.[​IMG]

10. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks, chickenzoo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by