3days old CHEEP?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TeachChickMKES, Oct 19, 2013.

1. TeachChickMKES

TeachChickMKES New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Just put babies into brooder box today... Eating, drinking, sleeping... Perky & active... But they don't make a lot of cheeping sounds... 1st time hatcher in classroom. Also, should I be wiping their lil butts (fecal sacs)??? Any help would be appreciated!:yiipchick

2. Savanni

Savanni New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    Hello - I;m certainly not an expert, but from what I've read, watch out for the "pasty butt" developing. Essentially, you want to ensure their vents aren't being clogged up. Now if you do encounter pasty butts, I've read that you can use a cotton swab and some lukewarm water to gently dab away the crusty matter around the vent.

3. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    You definitely want to keep their butts clean. If the pasty butt isn't controlled, it will cause an obstruction, and kill them. Some folks also will put a little apple cider vinegar in their water to help with that. Use the kind that is unfiltered, and contains "the mother". I think Heinz sells it and you can find it at Walmart. There are other brands that some people use, but I can't remember what it is.

I have seen where some folks will actually loosen up any poop on their butts with some warm water and clean.

I have seemed to notice more cheeping when there are a bunch in a brooder, because they run around and step all over one another, and are like kids in that they are never asleep at the same time If they are eating, drinking, sleeping, pooping and active, they are just fine.

4. TeachChickMKES

TeachChickMKES New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Thank you, I have been washing their lil butts with warm water... Right under their lil tails is clean & clear, it's lower on 2 of them, a hard dark 'pimply' looking thing... Is that from egg, where they were attached? I'm trying to keep that are clean too... But wonder if it needs to dry up/ fall off on its own, or, keep cleaning it, softening & it'll wipe off???

5. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    If the vent is clear, I would leave everything else alone. As the umbilical cord dries, it will get hard and dry and will eventually fall off.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  6. TeachChickMKES

TeachChickMKES New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks! How long will it take to fall off? Chicks are 1 week old today! Wing feathers are coming in nicely & seeing little tail feathers on 3 out of 5 of them! A couple of them have runny poop. The students say, "eeeeeeww it looks like gravy"! Lol any ideas/advice??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by