3ft high roost

VAeggman

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
I recently changed my roost for my chickens. I had one of the ladder type deals and some of the lower birds kept getting pooped on. I made one roost around the coop only about 3 feet high. Some of the birds jumped right up there but not all. I actually got impaitent as it was getting dark and put a handfull of birds on the new roost. It appeared that some of the chickens tried but could get up the 3 feet...Is it just becuz it was a new thing? Will they addapt?? I really like the suspended roost. It is easy to clean under and provides more floor space. I thought any of them should be able to make the 36"...My chickens range from 24 weeks to a year. ???

Any comments would be greatly appeciated!!!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

They can jump that high.....no problem. I think that they were just unsure about it. If you have some that refuse to jump up there tonight, you could always just attach a ramp to it so they can climb up there. Personally, I always have at least one ramp to a roost so they can climb up rather than jump if they prefer.

My roost is about 3' also. I put in a shorter sterter roost for them and they started by jumping up to the higher roost from the starter roost but now most of them jump/fly directly to the taller roost. Mine are about 15 weeks old.

I just recently changed from a ladder type roost to a 3' tall roost with poop boards. There were several nights, at first that I had to put a few up there. Now, maybe just one every few nights. Hope this makes you feel better.

Quote:
Yes this does make me feel better. Have you noticed some of the ones that couldnt make it now make it?? Funny, I've seen one hen jump up to the top nesting box ledge with no problem and thats probally 30". She had trouble getting up on the new roost last night
roll.png
roll.png

Please explain the poop boards??

I love this site, anytime I have a question I get an awswer back in minutes..Thanks chicken people!!

I have a little ladder I'm thinking of taking out, it was kind of an after thought and not built to last. My first roost is about 3 feet, I'm hoping they can make the jump. The other 2 roosts are 1 foot back and 1 foot higher. They jump to those no problem from the first roost. Mine are only 10 weeks old.

40580_dscn1217.jpg

Easier for me to post an image. I now have vinyl on the boards I scrape them about every two days keeps the shavings in the floor MUCH cleaner. You can do a search here, and find lots of different styles.

Back
Top Bottom