3ish weeks to go, getting ready

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carousel, Feb 2, 2008.

1. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    My chicks will be shipped the very end of the month.
    They are coming from McMurray
    There should be 27 of the little lovelies (reading the stories about cold weather now I'm a bit worried that I ordered too soon!
    Standard breeds.
    I have looked at the pictures on brooders and read some, but I'm trying to get a better idea of "size"
    I have at home things that I thought would work well as the structure. I have a 45 gallon? stock tank, Rubbermaid container (several) that could do the job.
    I also have 3 sizes of kiddy pools and hardware cloth to make a hoop around, and a tarp or heavy duty plastic as a draft barrier.
    After looking at "plans" I feel pretty good about plans and designs. But what I don't feel good about is size needed to start? And how big my area might need to get before thy can go outside. Based on the amount of chicks I will have.
    Catherine
    Northern end of the Willamette Valley, Oregon
    ps - what I have coming
    4 PARTRIDGE ROCKS Females
    3 BLACK AUSTRALORPS Females
    3 ARAUCANAS (easter eggers is what I'm expecting) Females
    4 SPECKELED SUSSEX Females
    10 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Str Run
    2 Black STAR Females
    1 bounus? LOL Free Rare Chick

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sounds like what you have ready will be okay to start with but remember 25 chicks grow fast and will need a heat source (heat lamp) til they fully feather out and even then in your coop til the weather warms up at night and they are half grown...my opinion..

Might have to separate half and half after a few weeks to have enough room for them to grow out...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  3. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    They will start in my 2nd bedroom that is not a bedroom <G>
    As they grow, I'm prepared to keep them in my garage with a heat source for as long as needed (single car garage <G> no car <G> just a 4x12 dog run <G>.

They are not "all mine" I'm starting them all, but about but between 3-6 weeks they will be split up into at least one other home.

I think I'm going to modify one of my Rubbermaid containers.
    I know they will grow.
    but since last time my friend raised our chicks, (my turn this year) And last time we had meat birds and layers.... I don't have a good feel for how much space they might at like 3 weeks? for example. Just planning ahead.
    I will contine to look through the board, I have learned a lot so far!
    Catherine

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You will do fine....Have fun!!...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by