3rd Batch of CX are in the freezer-Costs Included

cattleman999

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
I finished sending the last of this year's meaties to freezer camp this weekend. I was just totaling cost vs. pounds. I ordered 55 CX from Welp and they sent 57. I put 49 in the freezer at an average weight of 4.5 pounds. It cost me $1.73/pound put in the freezer. That includes cost of chicks, feed, and vacuum bagging. There is no cost included for labor or pens and the like. I sold about half of them to friends and family to help offset some of the cost of mine. I sold them for $11.00/bird and had one person make a comment about "black market prices" I just asked him if he knew how much work went into getting that bird ready for the table. I processed completely by myself. The wife will help put them in freezer bags but she can't help in the processing.I told him I would eat them all before I sold them any cheaper. He laughed and bought 2. I am currently experimenting with a group of DP cockrels to see what it costs per pound to get them put in the freezer. I have RIR, SLW, BR, and BO. I would prefer to go with a DP breed if the costs are even anywhere close to the same. I dont' mind the extra time it takes but I don't like how fragile the CX seem to be. I also want to see if I can tell a difference in CX and DP as far as flavor or any other factors that come into play with regards to a quality meal. We have eaten two batches of CX so it isn't that we dislike them, I just want to see what differences there are for myself.

i do not have my records in front of me...but have always kept track what feeds cost to raise cornish..... the first yr. i ordered 160 pullets...each married child of mine paid for their share of chicks plus feed..seems cost was really low. i did not figure in bedding, electricy, supplies...just chicks & feeds...... after that first year i felt so guility charging my own children .so since then i just give them free birds for coming here to help me butcher all in one day..this year chicks are 91 cents per bird..feeds are higher. am sure my records will show a great increase, husband always says its cheaper to just buy already processed & frozen in groc store. but he along with so many others dont understand, why i raise own birds, own eggs,gardens,veggies & fruits. buy organic grass / hay fed beef & sheep for our table. $11 a bird is higher then groc store yes, but taste & quality & healthiness of birds..big difference. sometimes its a ..either you get it & understand..or you dont...cant convince some..cheaper isn't better....for the ones who complain on your prices just point them to nearest groc store , full of chemicals, & what nots in the meats there.....enjoy your freezer full of your own stock ..

Last edited:
soap&eggs :

i do not have my records in front of me...but have always kept track what feeds cost to raise cornish..... the first yr. i ordered 160 pullets...each married child of mine paid for their share of chicks plus feed..seems cost was really low. i did not figure in bedding, electricy, supplies...just chicks & feeds...... after that first year i felt so guility charging my own children .so since then i just give them free birds for coming here to help me butcher all in one day..this year chicks are 91 cents per bird..feeds are higher. am sure my records will show a great increase, husband always says its cheaper to just buy already processed & frozen in groc store. but he along with so many others dont understand, why i raise own birds, own eggs,gardens,veggies & fruits. buy organic grass / hay fed beef & sheep for our table. $11 a bird is higher then groc store yes, but taste & quality & healthiness of birds..big difference. sometimes its a ..either you get it & understand..or you dont...cant convince some..cheaper isn't better....for the ones who complain on your prices just point them to nearest groc store , full of chemicals, & what nots in the meats there.....enjoy your freezer full of your own stock ..

We haven't eaten beef from the grocery store in years since my parents are in the ranching business and I spent 15 years working cattle feedlots. My parents are selling some grass fed beef and I have eaten some of that and if the genetics are right it isn't bad at all and probably a lot healthier. The problem with beef is knowing what you have in genetics before trying the grass finish. The processed grain diets fed to most beef today make up for a lot of poor genetics in beef with regards to tenderness and flavor. My wife's grandparents used to raise all their own chickens and talking with them and watching some you tube on main line chicken processing convinced me that doing your own has to be better, much like raising your own beef.​

To touch on a the price subject, it's tough to make people understand. It's taken me over 10 years to develop a customer base that are willing to pay $3.00 / pound for chicken and $4.00 / dozen for eggs. Basically you weed out the customers that aren't willing to pay the price. After you get a few good customers that basically worship you for growing your food... you will tell the guy that complains about the price to go to the grocery and to not waste your time. If they want cheap food with little care given to the details, Walmart is it. However if they want a quality product they will stick with you.

4.5 pound bird should cost around $13.50.... so $11.00 was a decent discount for they caliber bird you raised for him.

On the DP vs CX debate, if your serious about selling the meat to make money or to sideline additional income I would stay clear of the DP's. Especially if you have people complaining about current prices for CX birds. If someone has to pay more for a chicken that doesn't look like a chicken.... that throws a lot of people off and you can bet that they won't buy it. A DP bird looks completely different than a CX when processed and the taste is not comparable at all. Two totally different textures...

Just my opinion but any how, good luck with it.

Quote:
Well, initially I thought of trying to raise and sell chickens for meat for additional income but I don't think it is feasible for us with our acerage. I only have 3.5 acres and it has a fairly large pond on part of it. I am thinking the DP route will keep us in eggs and meat from a sustainable flock. If we have more meat than we can eat I can give the excess to friends or family. I am not really looking at trying to market the DP birds for meat but the eggs is a different story. I have a pretty good egg customer base already established and they make enough profit to feed my horses so that isn't coming out of our household budget.

Quote:
We haven't eaten beef from the grocery store in years since my parents are in the ranching business and I spent 15 years working cattle feedlots. My parents are selling some grass fed beef and I have eaten some of that and if the genetics are right it isn't bad at all and probably a lot healthier. The problem with beef is knowing what you have in genetics before trying the grass finish. The processed grain diets fed to most beef today make up for a lot of poor genetics in beef with regards to tenderness and flavor. My wife's grandparents used to raise all their own chickens and talking with them and watching some you tube on main line chicken processing convinced me that doing your own has to be better, much like raising your own beef.

i know i am going off a bit on original question posting..sorry in advance.....i grew up on home grown beefers ,some beef x...all grass / hay fed..no grains at all..no hormone no nothing...dad did put out a salt block...never once did i get sick from his beef. when i married & had to buy store boughten meats and eat in restraunts..i think i spent most of my time,, in the bathroom.....years of this i finally connected dots to where & what i was eatting & what to avoid. i have a brother in law & also his daughter who both have chronnes diease..they both have such flair ups when they eat store bought or restraunt beef...but not with dads homegrown beef..my dad passed away 2yrs ago..my 85 yr old mom had to sell cattle....once again buying store meats & getting sick...we just bought 1/2 cow from coworker who raises just like my dad did..grass & hay only..no grains...so far so good ............it has been the same with my homegrown chickens...what a difference it is in eatting them. even tho i am feeding them commerial feeds corn..they free range which i think does make a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom