1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3rd Day FreeRange Plan...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MCHLMRTN, Mar 16, 2015.

1. MCHLMRTN

MCHLMRTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    Ok. I'm familiar with the whole 4ft/10ft rule of thumb. And I am aware of the different locations need different set up. And so on. I am familiar with free range (my grandfather always had chickens). I not so familiar with coops and runs (I assume the Run is the caged in area where they restricted from roaming?) so, I guess I'm looking for suggestions or even to be corrected... Here goes, 3 Coops and Runs.

The Plan...
    -A-
    (1) I want to have layers, that are separated from males. (2) I want Meat/Reproduction. Most likely White Wyandottes (egg and meat). (3) Will be for a different breed(s) and for whatever idea surfaces between now and then.

-B-
    Each number represents a separate coop/run (in case you didn't figure that out). Each coop will have two runs. Example...Day 1-Free range, Day 2&3-contained. (So that on every 3rd day each flock is allowed to free range. A double run will also help keep from turning grass into mud.

-C-
    My original design is based on 12 chickens per flock.
    The coop was 8x8ft. (64 sqft)
    Each run is 16x12ft. (192 sqft)

Does everyone consider this too little room, even if allowed to free range?

It's not the space/land issue, it's a Money vs Material issue.
    I'm raising for personal use, and. I realise 12 layers are probably more than enough for a family of four but "it's better o be safe, than sorry" and not to mention loss due to predetors when allowed to free range.

2. MCHLMRTN

MCHLMRTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    Or...

If I narrowed it down to two coops (each with two runs to lower wear and tear on grass) and Free Ranged every other day...would those measurements still work?

I figure, logically, free ranging would allow such space for Coop and double runs..?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by